New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

12-29-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
JerseyRed456
Registered
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1997 528i

Im new here, looking for some troubleshooting tips.

this is my first post, not sure if Im sopose to post this thread up here but here it goes.

Im the new owner of a blue 97 528i. I picked it for a cool $2500 with just 120,000 miles under the hood and the engine still purrs like a kitten. There's isn't really much maintance that needs done on it besides the norm. So far it looks theres some minor fixes I need help on. I rather learn my car and do it myself than take it to a autoshop. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

1.) Squeaky brakes: I have new rotors and brakes on my ride but they are very squeaky, someone mentioned to me that the rotors or brakes might have not been sanded down a little and this is why they are so noisy. Another thing too, I noticed a loose cable that's connected to the braking system. I noticed when I took the tire off to replace it. Is this easily fixable by hand or would I need to take it to a shop? The yellow "signal" thats in the middle of my dash is on. It looks like a triangle with a circle or something like that in the middle. Also the red "Brake" light is on as well. (will take pictures soon). I figured that has something to do with the loose brake cable. I think it's my abs breaks. when I come to a complete stop it doesn't sound to great.

2.) Windshield Wiper Fluid: When I first got my ride there was no washer fluid and the dashboard indicted that. I filled it up but soon realized that the water wasn't shooting out onto the windshield when I pulled the lever. How could I fix that asap? Got hit with a snow storm the other day and it was a lot of a pain not being able to clean my windshield. The wipers just smudged it.

3.) Fuse problems?: I only had my car for about a month and half. the first 2 weeks my drivers seat was working normal and then all of a sudden it just stopped working. It doesn't move anymore but the passenger seat works fine. Im looking at it like it can't be the fuse if one of the other seats work. I really hope it's not as serious as I think it is. Also, I am not able to adjust my steering wheel. It doesn't move at all. Could this be a fuse problem too?

4.) Thermostat replaced?: Before I pulled off the lot with my new whip I had a minor problem with the radiator where all the anti-freeze leaked out. A new radiator was put in and now Im good but I noticed on my dashboard that the outside temperture stays at -40 degrees. I also read up somewhere on the internet that it's good to replace the thermostat when you change your radiator. But I don't know if that's truth or not. Do I need to replace the thermostat?

That's pretty much it for now. Im looking to head out to the local junkyard soon and get some small parts I need for my car. Could you guys give me a idea on what I can look to be spending on these parts?

1.) I need a new passenger sun visor
2.) new 1 stock rim (4th rim doesn't match the other 3). aside from doing that, Im looking to buy 4 bigger stock rims, 17 inches I guess ( I currently have 15in rims). Do the stock BMW rims go higher than 17in? I was looking into buying 19 inch rims but these would be custom unless I can find stock rims in that size. Speaking of 19 inches, is that a good size to go with on the rims? I was told that 19 is the highest I would want to go so that I don't ruin the ride of the car.

3.) cd cartidge for the 6 cd changer that's in the trunk.
4.) passenger side Fog light ( missing one )
6.) A good brand of Hi beam replacement lights (one of the bulbs is out)
7.) A good brand of brighter head lights (regular lights are kind of dull. I want to see better at night)
8.) Real mino but Im looking to replace the front and back cupholders.. ( so flimsy, any ideas on third party parts that would be more sturdier?)

Sorry for all the questions but I really need help and this looks like the place to get it. I tried to break everything down as simple as I can. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
GSA1
Rep

Drives: 02' E39 BLK/BLK STEP

new owner - all of us have been there

I am new here, but not to e39s. I will try to help you get started in getting you ride in-shape. First a few suggestions:

-If you are going to keep this great car, you will need a basic set of metric tools and a Bentleys Manual.
-If you need a shop to fix the car, you will go broke.
- Buy all parts (OEM or genuine) online from reputable sponsors (PM for some good ones)
- Autozone will scan your car for free and report trouble codes. Write them down and do a search of the numbers to begin diagnosing each problem.

The triangle indicates a problem with your ASC (DSC in my model). You also likely have the brake light for worn brakes. The loose part may be a wheel or a brake sensor. If brake sensor, it cannot be turned off. Its indicating new pads and or rotors are needed. A new sensor must be installed when brakes are done (IF the light has turned on).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
GSA1
Rep

windshield washer

assuming you used fluid that doesnt freeze, you'll need to:

check hoses leading to outlets on the underside of the hood;
pull the passenger side fender liner and look for hose problems and cracks in the resevoir, and check the pump is running when activated.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
GSA1
Rep

windshield cleaning system diagram

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...48&hg=61&fg=45

REALOEM.com is your friend
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
GSA1
Rep

seat electrical

check the fuses in your glovbox, especially number 13. then check the large rectangular seat switch (drivers side). Connector comes loose under the finishing panel. Oh you need torx (allen) wrenches in your tool kit too.
Consider buying an inexpensive OBDII scanner to retrieve your trouble codes. (Peake?)

Last edited by GSA1; 01-05-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
GSA1
Rep

cooling system

of all the possible maintanence issues associated with e39s, the cooling system demands closet attention. one 5 minute overheat and you have major, permanent damage. So...

You did the radiator. You need to replace or plan to replace soon (unless you know it was already done) the following:
Thermostat
Upper and lower hoses
waterpump
fan
fan clutch
expansion tank

it is not recommended to do a cooling system part after it breaks. It need to be done as planned maintenance. best to do it all at the same time. an overhaul is good for about 60k miles

this is another fairly easy DIY
Appreciate 0