New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #155
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

As you narrow things down you might want to spend some time here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/#u-s-forums
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #156
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
With that said, Florida has really good weather and pretty much everything you could ever ask for. College towns with pretty ladies? Check. Beautiful coastlines? Check. Beaches? Check. World famous golf courses? Check. Scuba, boating, sport fishing, check, check, check. Great food? Check. Seriously, Florida has everything (and not overrun with illegal immigrants lol). Guns, check. Moderate politics instead of ultra left, check. Inexpensive housing, check. Low taxes, check. No state income tax, check. Theme parks, check. Space center, check. You should be pleasantly surprised you keep most of what you make unlike Sweden that taxes everyone like crazy too, no?
Very nice. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 04:32 AM   #157
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: Soon BMW

Hello again,
a quick job-related question!
How difficult would it be for me to get a decent job?

I know there's a ton of variables and almost impossible to answer but I'm just curious how well (or bad) foreigners with no U.S. references are perceived*?

Last edited by Senilsson; 05-29-2017 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Me engrish veri gud
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:53 AM   #158
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Drives: 335 e93

Perceived not perpetrated. I don't see it being a problem. We are a country of legal immigrants after all.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #159
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Perceived not perpetrated. I don't see it being a problem. We are a country of legal immigrants after all.
Thank you.
I guess all I need to do is work on the language.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #160
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senilsson View Post
Last edited by Senilsson; Today at 03:02 PM. Reason: Me engrish veri gud
Det här är mycket roligt

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #161
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Thank you.
I guess all I need to do is work on the language.
Yes, but that comes quickly once you are here.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #162
BavarianDevil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Silverstone/Beige

Silicon Valley is expensive but the weather is the best in the Country. Job opportunity is huge and Northern California is gorgeous from SF down to Carmel. GL with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #163
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianDevil View Post
Silicon Valley is expensive but the weather is the best in the Country. Job opportunity is huge and Northern California is gorgeous from SF down to Carmel. GL with your decision.
It seems very nice indeed but I'm a bit turned off by the traffic and housing situation.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #164
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Eight pages in and this swede can't find a decent place to lay his lily white head?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #165
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Eight pages in and this swede can't find a decent place to lay his lily white head?
Tja, allt bra eller? Behöver du en kram?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #166
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Quote:
Tja, allt bra eller? Behöver du en kram?
Något lite trevligare än en kram skulle göra bra

Yes, a big hug would do for him. Specifically from a stereotypical Swede who is opposite to your gender - I suspect he would appreciate that very much. Perhaps even a little more than a hug if you can arrange that for him

Though it is not a bad indication of what you can expect coming to the States I bet. Keep that in mind.

I suspect you are looking for a mosaic culture, but all you have is a visa to a melting pot. Too bad for you. The mosaic is just north.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #167
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Något lite trevligare än en kram skulle göra bra

Yes, a big hug would do for him. Specifically from a stereotypical Swede who is opposite to your gender - I suspect he would appreciate that very much. Perhaps even a little more than a hug if you can arrange that for him

Though it is not a bad indication of what you can expect coming to the States I bet. Keep that in mind.

I suspect you are looking for a mosaic culture, but all you have is a visa to a melting pot. Too bad for you. The mosaic is just north.
What's up with the attitude? You have no idea..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 11:39 AM   #168
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
What's up with the attitude? You have no idea..
Wasn't meant to be directed at you. Perhaps came out harsher than I meant.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #169
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

This thread is kind of infected, but I would still like to get some opinions on my choices.
I have my visa interview scheduled in December which means I will take a trip to the states in January.

I am going to Minneapolis to get my green card and I will spend a few days in the area, but it's not my intention to stay there so I'm going to continue to Columbus, OH which is on top of my list at the moment. I had Raleigh as a contender for a long time but from what I've heard about the heat and traffic kinda I'm not that interested anymore.
I might want to check out Indianapolis, IN, Cleveland, OH and Pittsburgh, PA but it really depends on how much I like Columbus.

Any thoughts on Columbus or Ohio in general? Do you think I should visit a place nearby that's a hidden gem? As always, I appreciate any tips.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #170
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
This thread is kind of infected, but I would still like to get some opinions on my choices.
I have my visa interview scheduled in December which means I will take a trip to the states in January.

I am going to Minneapolis to get my green card and I will spend a few days in the area, but it's not my intention to stay there so I'm going to continue to Columbus, OH which is on top of my list at the moment. I had Raleigh as a contender for a long time but from what I've heard about the heat and traffic kinda I'm not that interested anymore.
I might want to check out Indianapolis, IN, Cleveland, OH and Pittsburgh, PA but it really depends on how much I like Columbus.

Any thoughts on Columbus or Ohio in general? Do you think I should visit a place nearby that's a hidden gem? As always, I appreciate any tips.
It snows a lot in all those places. Maybe try the Midwest?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #171
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
It snows a lot in all those places. Maybe try the Midwest?
I know there's snow but Columbus doesn't get the snow and the cold we do here in Sweden by a large margin. As always, there's a tradeoff.

But forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't every city I just listed in the midwest?
Do you perhaps mean the lower midwest, and if so which city would you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #172
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
My experience is that NYC is a great place, if you can afford it. If you are going to raise a family, the Dallas area is tough to beat, especially North Tarrant county or the Frisco area. Northern California is nice also, again, if you can afford it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #173
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
My experience is that NYC is a great place, if you can afford it. If you are going to raise a family, the Dallas area is tough to beat, especially North Tarrant county or the Frisco area. Northern California is nice also, again, if you can afford it.
Can't afford it, won't raise a family.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #174
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
I know there's snow but Columbus doesn't get the snow and the cold we do here in Sweden by a large margin. As always, there's a tradeoff.

But forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't every city I just listed in the midwest?
Do you perhaps mean the lower midwest, and if so which city would you recommend?
I guess since I'm from Texas Indy an Ohio seem like the north to me and PA is in the north east. You're looking into some really big cities. Might want to look into some smaller cities which would keep your cost down and probably have better schools, etc.
I've lived in Texas my whole life, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like the weather down here. It hardly ever snows.
      08-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #175
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

If that is the route you are taking might want to swing through Des Moines (just a tad out of the way from MN to IN/OH. Well worth the look as it has the feel of a bigger city without many of the drawbacks (traffic is good, lot of young professionals, low cost of living, etc.)

If you do swing through here drop me a line and I would be glad to show you around town.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #176
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Tejas is awful. Very warm, mediocre food, unwelcoming people, and dangerously close to the Mexican border. Texas would be a bad, bad choice.
This is a very narrow view of a very large state. Texas is actually bigger than Sweden at 696,241 km2. Sweden being 450,295 km2.

There are differences in climate between North and South Texas but I will agree it is generally hot.

The food is awesome I don't understand why you would say that. Any major city will have a mix of food options from all over the world. A lot of Mexican food (Tex-Mex) but that's a good thing.

I don't think people in general are nearly as friendly as they used to be. Texans are friendly enough, but they don't put up with any B.S.

Yep South Texas does indeed border Mexico. But as said before, Texas is a very large state, you can be hundreds of miles from the border and still be a in a major city. Dallas being very very far from the border.

Texas has a great economy, ranking number 2 in the US, and 10th in the world. Taxes aren't too bad, no state tax, cost of living is lower than most.

As said before, paradise doesn't exist. Look at facts, then weigh the pros and cons.

Last edited by 3rdcoast228i; 08-15-2017 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 1