New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
DeliAhjusshi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 17 YMB F80 ZCP

PXG golf clubs for a newbie

Decided to get into golf. In my research the reviews on pxg irons make it seem like they are awesome. Would it be foolish to learn the sport while using such an expensive set? Is it just hype? My other choice would be Taylor made m2. Prefer to buy once and not have to change clubs as my skills get better. Any insight would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #2
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep

Drives: 2014 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliAhjusshi View Post
Decided to get into golf. In my research the reviews on pxg irons make it seem like they are awesome. Would it be foolish to learn the sport while using such an expensive set? Is it just hype? My other choice would be Taylor made m2. Prefer to buy once and not have to change clubs as my skills get better. Any insight would be appreciated.
For what it's worth, I'd suggest getting a cheapie set to start with since even experienced players eventually update their sets.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

Nice thought but it doesn't work that way. It would be like saying I want to learn to drive so I'll buy an M4 to get started so I never have to upgrade later. Go buy a starter set. Golf clubs need to match your swing and you don't have a swing yet. I've been playing for 27 years and there are top of the line clubs I wouldn't have a prayer of hitting well. Yet with the right clubs I can shoot around par on most courses. Spend your money on lessons and practice. When your starter set is holding you back you'll know.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
PXGs are the Bentley's of clubs. The prices are pretty rediculous TBH. Ive hit their range of clubs and they are ok however I think IMO there are better options for far less money. Thomas SR just switched to the full set of PXG irons/wedges/woods and he swears by them, but when a set of irons/woods/wedges puts you close to 8k, seems ridiculous to me.

My personal advice would be to get a moderate decent club that is forgiving and fitted to you. Use the extra money and get lessons from a "reputable" instructor not a random guy who works in a golf shop. Lots of bad info out there.

I personally am a titleist guy through the bag, been that since first day I started golfing.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 3
      05-23-2017, 06:31 AM   #5
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Agree w/ everyone above. Get a basic starter set and learn to play. You'll quickly figure out how challenging the game is and what subtle differences can make in how well you play. No way I spend for PXG clubs, likely ever!

Like GOLFFRR, I'm a Titleist guy but played Ping for years before I made the switch. In fact a friend just got some new Callaway irons which I hit a few with and they are really nice clubs as well.

Get your starter set, take your lessons, play for a while and then make the jump to a set of your choosing. That will still be less expensive than a set of PXG clubs!
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10795.50
      05-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #6
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

Another note. Don't get hung up on brands yet. All the major companies make quality stuff. We've heard from the Titleist folks, great clubs. I play Mizuno. Taylor Made, Callaway, Ping, Cobra, all good. Don't get the most expensive model in any line either. It's most likely not designed for a novice. Don't go for the super stiff shaft either. Bad choices here can hold you back.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #7
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: as many as possible

I am going to strongly suggest something. Go to a golf shop and go straight to the used club section. Try and find a 7 iron with a large cavity back head with a regular flex shaft. Get a good grip put on it if it needs one. Get 2 synthetic gloves that fit well. I'm assuming your a right handed swinger, so 2 left hand gloves. They are less expensive and you need to go wear them both out at the range with your ONE club. Forget sets, forget brands, forget lessons for now. You go hit your ONE club until you can hit that ONE club well enough. That means in the air and it carries a reasonable distance. In no wind, level terrain, my 7 carries around 173 yards. I've been playing for a lonnnnng time. If you can carry the ball 130+ yards at some point, you are on your way to becoming another golf addict.

Spend several weeks / if you go hit balls 3 times a week let's say. Wear those gloves out and see what you then think about golf. Dont give up if its 'hard', because it is. DO NOT TRY AND KILL IT. You'll just hurt yourself and or get severely frustrated. Figure out what works and doesn't work after EVERY shot. DO NOT rapid fire your bucket of balls. Learn after each shot and remember what was successful. Hint: taking the club back as far as your flexibility will let you does not equate to distance. A shorter swing with good BODY turn is key. Your torso and legs are your power, NOT your arms. I use an overlap grip. It and interlock are what you need to Google and figure out which you prefer.

If that used club becomes your friend you will be ready to look at a full set and lessons. Do your homework on teaching pros in your area. There are so many philosophies as to what is the right way. I've never had a lesson...but I'm actually thinking about it.

My .02

Last edited by gonzo; 05-23-2017 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
DeliAhjusshi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 17 YMB F80 ZCP

Thanks for the advice guys. As always this forum is great. A buddy lent me some old rbladez to fiddle around with. I'll also stop by the local golf shops to see what they got in the used bin. I was also told to watch some YouTube videos on proper grip. I'll probably have more questions later so I will check in with you guys and give a progress update.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '23 M440i GC

Definitely do not invest in a set of PXGs (just yet) unless you're getting close to becoming a scratch golfer or have a handicap of around 5. I've hit them as well and even got fitted for them. And although they're wonderful clubs with extreme distance and consistency I couldn't warrant purchasing clubs that were $500 a piece. I'm about a 7-8 handicap and have other aspects in the game that can drop that other than some super nice irons.

I've gone through Titleist AP2s, Callaway Apex Pros, Taylormade M2s and they're all wonderful clubs but you should start with something around the ballpark of $600-700 for the set, USED. Don't buy brand new. Craigslist and eBay are your best friends for an intro set.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep

Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. As always this forum is great. A buddy lent me some old rbladez to fiddle around with. I'll also stop by the local golf shops to see what they got in the used bin. I was also told to watch some YouTube videos on proper grip. I'll probably have more questions later so I will check in with you guys and give a progress update.
one thing I will add that is kinda of a debatable topic, but I personally am a firm believer in getting fit. Now granted your swing can and will change over time and as you get better, but if you are just starting out and your clubs are out of a used bin or are way off spec wise you could have a strong opportunity of creating some nasty bad habits. Bad habits are nasty and unfortunately impossible to avoid (every one every level has them) but IMO can be limited a lot by having correct equiptment specd for you

You see a lot of this with junior golfers who swing cut down shafts which are too stiff, long, or heavy for them. Just something to consider. Might be worth spending a little time and money on getting fit so that way you have a little bit of a even playing field when you start. All this can be addressed and would be addressed by a good instructor.

I guess all this really comes down to how much you plan on getting into the sport. If you plan on hitting the range a few times a year or playing a couple times a year, then anything really will work. If you plan on trying to get some what decent or pick it up as a regular hobby then def invest in the process

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!

Last edited by GOLFFRR; 05-23-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep

Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Honestly, it really depends how often you plan on playing. Go to a place that either has the digital practice screen or indoor range, and swing a few, they'll be able to give you some basic tips so you can at least see what feels well in your grip.

Some people swear by their clubs, but I've played some of my best games with shitty clubs I had for 8 years, and I've had some great games with my most recent Nike wedges. Just set yourself a budget, get some decent clubs, and just go enjoy the game. The funny thing about golf is it's about approach, not the clubs in your bag. A shitty swing will make the same poor lie between $500 clubs and $2,000 clubs.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #12
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

As someone once told me, ultimately "it's the Indian, not the arrow"....
Appreciate 7
Axius4202.00
SakhirM410784.50
theriz405.50
rr006rbc1204.00
      05-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #13
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

If you can find a used set that is forged, I would go that route. Personally think Mizuno makes the best forged clubs on the market. They used to forge clubs for Miura which was were rebranded Titelist clubs just for Tiger when he was the most dominant player in the world. Now, Miura is in the market with their own line.

I am a self prescribed equipment whore and the benefits of getting forged irons is that you can get them fitted to you without purchasing new clubs. You can have the loft, and lie bent to your specific swing with much more flexibility then cast clubs. Also, flushing a forged mid iron is probably one of the best sounds/feeling.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
If you can find a used set that is forged, I would go that route. Personally think Mizuno makes the best forged clubs on the market. They used to forge clubs for Miura which was were rebranded Titelist clubs just for Tiger when he was the most dominant player in the world. Now, Miura is in the market with their own line.

I am a self prescribed equipment whore and the benefits of getting forged irons is that you can get them fitted to you without purchasing new clubs. You can have the loft, and lie bent to your specific swing with much more flexibility then cast clubs. Also, flushing a forged mid iron is probably one of the best sounds/feeling.
True, but he's a beginner and I don't hit forged as a seasoned golfer. Now the new forged, mizuno has a larger head forged out, are going to be easier to hit than the butter knifes I've seen. I recently went to m2 tour irons after hitting maybe 10 different irons. Went through irons like crazy when I was younger and then kept the set before these for 12 years. Now I miss them. Lol.

Ping is a favorite of mine and the brand I would recommend to the OP. Forgiving, durable and good resale. Ping G is a great cast club. It was too chunky for my eye. Owned 4 sets of past Pings.

Now, if I could just make every five foot putt.
      05-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #15
theriz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
2011 335i M-Sport  [4.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 X5  [10.00]
Have you ever played or went to the range at all?

No way I would spend that kind of money on set if you're new. Heck I wouldn't even spend that now.
      05-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #16
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
As someone once told me, ultimately "it's the Indian, not the arrow"....
I've been spanked by guys with rusty old Wilsons. Me and my $2000 dollar set limped to the parking lot.
      05-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #17
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
True, but he's a beginner and I don't hit forged as a seasoned golfer. Now the new forged, mizuno has a larger head forged out, are going to be easier to hit than the butter knifes I've seen. I recently went to m2 tour irons after hitting maybe 10 different irons. Went through irons like crazy when I was younger and then kept the set before these for 12 years. Now I miss them. Lol.

Ping is a favorite of mine and the brand I would recommend to the OP. Forgiving, durable and good resale. Ping G is a great cast club. It was too chunky for my eye. Owned 4 sets of past Pings.

Now, if I could just make every five foot putt.
It would save money actually. Cast clubs can be bent very little and forge has a lot more versatility on how much it can be bent. Mizuno MX23 or MP60's aren't much more then $200-$300 depending on condition. Better then having to dump your cast, or even getting a new set of clubs to just have them fitted.

Ping is the king of cast. The originator. Lots of respect for that brand.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #18
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
It would save money actually. Cast clubs can be bent very little and forge has a lot more versatility on how much it can be bent. Mizuno MX23 or MP60's aren't much more then $200-$300 depending on condition. Better then having to dump your cast, or even getting a new set of clubs to just have them fitted.

Ping is the king of cast. The originator. Lots of respect for that brand.
I bent these m2 tours 3 up. Didn't like it. Went back neutral. Finally found It at 1 up. Mine are 3/4" + shafts. I've gotten taller in my setup to try and save my old back. Had to fiddle around with fit for a month after the change. I love, love forged but I need the assistance of the cb cast. These give me a click when center hit and a slight thud when off but it still goes like stink.
      05-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #19
slalomfever
United_States
Rep

Drives: Nardo Grey F80

Like most of the responses...

- get fit for a set that will give you maximum forgiveness

I've been playing for 12+ years and have gone through several sets. As you progress, golf club technology will change and so will your swing. You will soon find a brand that "fits your eye" and hopefully get comfortable swinging.

Good Luck! Golf is an AWESOME sport!
Appreciate 1