New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #45
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Werke View Post
We call that the hippy speedball! Ha...it's actually a joint and a nice coffee. No complaints on the combo.

It's rad you live in Rossland. Sick mountain. I love Fernie too. That whole area is epic.
Haha, that's funny! Thanks, I feel pretty lucky to live here, been almost 4 years, blessed to have the mountains in my backyard. Fernie is hardcore if you're skiing!
      04-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #46
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Drives: a

so an update, been coke free for 2 days now (?)
coffee consumption has gone up, drinking those water bottles
I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't climbing the MOFO walls craving my shit

I have found 1 side effect, I usually need to have quite a large amount of carbs at night (say around 70gms, oatmeal for example) otherwies I rebound my blood sugar and wake up "higher" this AM my blood sugar was really good 5.4 (as opposed to in the 7's)

I have to have sweetener and milk in my coffee also in my oatmeal, but thats like a packet or 2 as opposed to 1 liter of the stuff.

I also made an ice coffee to reduce the crave for sweet cold drinks

It's going to be a long road, nearly 10 years of drinking diet pop, so pretty much hooked on this mainline ! expecting to fall off the wagon any day now

I also managed by just drinking coffee, from going to the cafeteria and buying a diet red bull.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #47
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Another scare I had past few days is my teeth hurt and some gum pain, I have very sensitive teeth and I know that acid from the pop is not good, I hate dentists, so thats's kinda scared me off pop
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #48
Bt12
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

I like diet soda... also like coffee but coffee now has acrylimide which causes cancer.

So I try to drink more diet soda and more milk tea.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      04-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #49
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
From someone who works in the medical field, here's my 2 cents:

To answer a couple of your questions from your original post, ~ 500mg of Caffeine is the upper limit of what I'd recommend to someone in a 24 hour period. Obviously, the lower the better, however, evidence shows caffeine consumption of 400-500mg per day generally is safe for a healthy adult. I wouldn't recommend more than 200-250mg at any one time throughout the day.

As far as pop, I applaud you for trying to cut it out. Don't make your goal too ambitious as that's one of the quickest ways to not reach your goal. Slowly lower your soda consumption, don't just quit cold turkey. It's amazing how just cutting out pop without even eating better or working out can have a huge effect on your weight. Obviously, eating well and a good workout regiment is ideal though.

Last thing and maybe most important, don't tell yourself that you need to stop drinking soda for the rest of your life and forget to reward yourself when you reach milestones. You need to create a reward system for yourself, similar to the likes of a cheat meal for people who compete in body building or fitness competitions. Most of them eat great, however, they reward themselves with a cheat meal.

Keep your water intake high, help those kidneys filter as much as you can which will also help your body be less resistant to its own insulin (or insulin injections). Your A1C needs to be the priority. Don't worry about keeping your sugar perfect as much as keeping it steady even if it's slightly elevated. Stable or consistent even if it's on the higher end of normal is better than going from high, to good, to low, to high, to good again.

Good luck with your endeavor!

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 04-15-2018 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
jaye9441007.00
GoRomeo891.50
      04-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #50
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

so a twist in the tale, I have managed to cut down, but I fell off the "wagon" so to speak.

In respect to my diabetes, I'm finding I need at least 70gms carbs at night, otherwise I wake with a high, also found if I wake in the night have a swig of straight pop as opposed to Diet, that my blood sugars are super great.

So I'm starting to ween off the diet on to full fat sugar pop.

But dig this, I'm drinking less ? HUH (CONFUSED)
I can drink a liter bottle easy of diet, but am satiated on 2 small glasses of full fat.

I'm also finding diet pop is tasting a bit sickly sweet.

The day I fell off the wagon, man, I popped open a pepsi, the sound of the bubbles,
the smell of the soda, I just stood there, my heart was pounding, and a massive endorphin rush, better than sex.. then the first sip... then it was like glug glug glug.

It has the same properties as any drug I can think of, forget oxycontin, this stuff is evil.

I've been making Ice coffee to help my cravings for a cold pop.

Can anyone suggest a decent late night snack, for my diabeetus, I've loosely calculated I need about 70grams of carbs. Something healthy
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 01:19 PM   #51
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
Can anyone suggest a decent late night snack, for my diabeetus, I've loosely calculated I need about 70grams of carbs. Something healthy
This sounds crazy. IF I had 70g carbs after dinner, I'd need a bolus at least equal to a regular meal. 70g at bed is a recipe for moobs. I would look more at adjusting your lantus, both in reducing amount and timing of injection.

I've found, for lows at night just before bed, the best thing is a glass of whole milk. Immediate carbs from the lactose, plus protein to slowly get thru the night.

Just remember to rinse your mouth out, morning milk-breath is the worst!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:08 AM   #52
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

essentially more than an average meal's worth of carbs.

I'm on mixed oral meds, so it's a bit more tricky, If I play around with the lantus, it tends to effect my meals BG's I take 22U's at bed time, so around 10pm Lantus is a "24" hour drug

Time and time again, if I wake in the middle of the night, for a snack, my mornings, are fantastic, if I eat a little, and no midnight snack, my BG's are horrible.

I can get consistent 5.1 - 6.5 by eating a substantial carb at night before bed, I've also toyed with 2 servings of oatmeal and a banana,

tonight I went with 2 avacado's, a banana and a slice of tirumisu

Fcuk this dawn phenomenon it is a real mind F88K,

eat too much BG's go high
eat too little BG's go low

But with the morning BG's your instincts to eat less are wrong..
damn you Diabeetus, damn you to hell (quoting Charleston Heston)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
This sounds crazy. IF I had 70g carbs after dinner, I'd need a bolus at least equal to a regular meal. 70g at bed is a recipe for moobs. I would look more at adjusting your lantus, both in reducing amount and timing of injection.

I've found, for lows at night just before bed, the best thing is a glass of whole milk. Immediate carbs from the lactose, plus protein to slowly get thru the night.

Just remember to rinse your mouth out, morning milk-breath is the worst!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #53
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I've just about accepted that no matter what I do at bed time, no matter what my reading is then, I will be 200-250 when I get up.

I switched from lantus to Triseba, and take it at dinner time. No more crashes at 2-3 in the afternoon.

I'd much rather be 200 at breakfast than 50 mid-afternoon.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      04-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #54
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
jaye's really gone off the rails...
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      04-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #55
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

yeah, maybe it's a Canadian thing...

I SWEAR on my life when I was in the UK I was a lot... lesss........

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
jaye's really gone off the rails...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #56
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Just don’t buy it in the store. You may end up buying singles here and there but it’s a step toward breaking from it. I find if I have that stuff in the house, my consumption is way higher. I used to drink at least one monster ultra a day, and was able to quit because I stopped stocking it in the House.
i agree not having it in the house is the key... if it's available, i'll have it.

at work we have free soda so i have 3-5 can of diet soda each day. on weekend i will have none of it (my house doesn't have it), i don't even notice any withdrawal from not having it.

i know my will is week, so for me it's about setting up the environment right instead of of fighting with the will...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #57
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

OMG
that's why I can't kick this stuff
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #58
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I nearly got a job at a Pepsi Dist. center in there IT dept, .... FREEE POP
that was a VERY hard job to turn down
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #59
paulster88
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 328i

I really hope evolution will do something for humanity about coffee addiction. just soo many people have. I'd recommend trying to reduce it to a copule cups per day by baby steps. Guess nothing can really help here but your willpower. Good luck op!
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      04-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #60
yco
i'm just saying
Rep

Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

there is no need to cut coffee seems your body works with it really.. cut it into half and drink some caffeine free drink instead to fill up the missing moments.. or coke.. less caffeine than coffee but it ll still keep you on the road..
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      04-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #61
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I must be missing the coffee gene or something. If I have leaded for more than 2 days in a row, on the 3rd day when I don't, I have a mean withdrawal headache.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #62
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
25 years of drinking diet pepsi upto 4 liters aday.... had real bad acid reflux lately and stopped drinking it for a few days... day 5 had slight headaches and urges to drink it.. got stressed out with work and started drinking it again... I quit drinking alcohol 6 years ago no problem but this stuff is really hard to quit... figure I'm going to wean myself off of it slowly...for now I switch between water and diet soda...

Last edited by FastF30; 05-19-2018 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00