New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

01-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Michigan State Train Gang

As a former collegiate athlete, stories like this sicken and sadden me. What is happening to the student athlete in college?!?!? Is it a culture thing for these millennials who are so caught up in what they see on social media and hear in rap music??? Those areas glorify this type of behavior. For me I took pride in being a student athlete and would never have risked my education and playing status for a piece of @ss, but that’s just me. Curious your thoughts.

Last edited by FlaPatsFan; 01-29-2018 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
drexplode1762.00
      02-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Just like at Penn State, it's the tail wagging the dog.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...ssar-case-espn
      02-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
ipilcher
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

As an MSU alum, this whole situation horrifies me. That said, I'm almost equally horrified by the way that ESPN is attempting to tie Dantonio and Izzo to Nassar.

MSU obviously has a poisonous culture, which desperately needs to be fixed. And call me defensive, but I think it's pretty obvious that this is a widespread problem. By making it an Izzo/Dantonio story, ESPN let's everyone file this into their established "dirty coaches" file (whether true or not) and avoid the uncomfortable questions about the larger cultural issues
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
As an MSU alum, this whole situation horrifies me. That said, I'm almost equally horrified by the way that ESPN is attempting to tie Dantonio and Izzo to Nassar.

MSU obviously has a poisonous culture, which desperately needs to be fixed. And call me defensive, but I think it's pretty obvious that this is a widespread problem. By making it an Izzo/Dantonio story, ESPN let's everyone file this into their established "dirty coaches" file (whether true or not) and avoid the uncomfortable questions about the larger cultural issues
16 sexual assault allegations in 11 years for the football team. More sexual assault arrests in 2016 than wins.

What ESPN is tying all this together is that the athletic department allows the coaches themselves deal with these issues like how they see fit. This is no different than the Penn State problem. The tail is wagging the dog, the athletic department, director, school president has lost control...for the last decade. That's the problem.
      02-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
ipilcher
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
What ESPN is tying all this together is that the athletic department allows the coaches themselves deal with these issues like how they see fit. This is no different than the Penn State problem. The tail is wagging the dog, the athletic department, director, school president has lost control...for the last decade. That's the problem.
That's what ESPN is saying, but it doesn't appear to actually be the case. AFAICT, every single one of these incidents was reported to either the police, Michigan State's Title IX office, or both. If anything, the most germane criticism of Dantonio and Izzo may be that they relied too much on those organizations, but that sure seems like wanting to have it both ways.

The administration, from the President on down, and the athletic department were clearly a huge problem. It's a shame that ESPN's desperate need for viewers and clicks has led them to distract from that real, serious issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
That's what ESPN is saying, but it doesn't appear to actually be the case. AFAICT, every single one of these incidents was reported to either the police, Michigan State's Title IX office, or both. If anything, the most germane criticism of Dantonio and Izzo may be that they relied too much on those organizations, but that sure seems like wanting to have it both ways.

The administration, from the President on down, and the athletic department were clearly a huge problem. It's a shame that ESPN's desperate need for viewers and clicks has led them to distract from that real, serious issue.
ESPN definitely jumps all over these types of incidents, especially if there are multiple. It’s is a very foggy topic on how these incidents are handled and investigated. And most info is after the fact.

The one incident where a female student was haunted by the ordeal she went through while in school at MSU, and documented it in her diary. She OD and died. She was prescribed the meds due to PTSD and depression from several sexual assaults involving football players which caused her to drop out and move in with her parents. Well they found her diary and wanted answers from MSU and the authorities there.

This was on the news recently, I can’t find the article tho. Sad story.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      02-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #7
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep

Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
AFAICT, every single one of these incidents was reported to either the police, Michigan State's Title IX office, or both.
Keep in mind, the "police" in this instance are the MSU campus police department who, unlike the East Lansing police dept., don't directly report to the DA's office. They probably report to someone internally. Am I correct in this thinking?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #8
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Keep in mind, the "police" in this instance are the MSU campus police department who, unlike the East Lansing police dept., don't directly report to the DA's office. They probably report to someone internally. Am I correct in this thinking?
Campus Police are exactly that...campus police. They are paid by the university and are on their payroll. They operate like a small department, but are low on the totem poll in the spectrum of Law Enforcement. The university definitely has influence over what is made public. They will only ask for outside assistance if it is a big or high profile case. Perception is reality and any bad press can seriously affect their admissions. A lot of stuff is swept under the rug.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 04:15 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

I'm going to predict this is the downfall of both Izzo and Dantonio amongst others at MSU.

Nassar's superiors in the medical department has already been let go...