New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #45
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

BMW should stop making promises they don't keep. Just add the 4 cyl thing to the list:

1. BMW will never do diesel.
2. M will always be manual.
3. M will never do SUV.
4. BMW will never do FWD.
5. AWD is not for M.
6. No force induction on M.

These guys are jokers.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #46
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 435i

Basically they realized that no matter how much HP it'll put out they'll never get people to spend $80k on a 4 cylinder.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #47
clbmw
Major
Rep

Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Basically they realized that no matter how much HP it'll put out they'll never get people to spend $80k on a 4 cylinder.
Same problem with the even more expensive i8
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #48
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep

Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Anecdotal evidence I appreciate, but I have seen far more of the A45 on the road than RS3. I'd have the latter in a heartbeat over the former.

Also regarding the downsizing, I've seen videos of the M140i outpulling the A45 at 3 figure speeds. At some point engine displacement reduction comes back to bite you.
Even from a standstill, or more realistically from rolling start the lack of displacement on those hyper boosted 22+ psi 4s makes them slower than a real car. Without launching at 3000 rpm those 4s don't really turn in that impressive a time
Appreciate 1
clbmw631.00
      09-24-2017, 02:55 AM   #49
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Even from a standstill, or more realistically from rolling start the lack of displacement on those hyper boosted 22+ psi 4s makes them slower than a real car. Without launching at 3000 rpm those 4s don't really turn in that impressive a time
For power, you need high PSI at high rpm so a big turbo. For fast and available torque low down, you need a small turbo. Also high PSI needs lower compression ratio, but this kills engine efficiency, so variable compression systems have to become a standard feature. This is expensive technology. But it will probably come the next two years. Wen it doesn't, there will be no combustion engines left and everything will get Teslafied.

More cyl and higher displacement is only ok, when you don't want to invest in technology. But it will be wiped out soon anyway: way too many pump, friction and inertia loses. I6 and V8 is nostalgia.

Future is small or not at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 04:48 AM   #50
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Let's hope the M models stay desirable but much like the current Boxster/Cayman I wouldn't be surprised if every other non-M model went turbo 4cyl.
There are a lot of non-M cars that are turbo THREE cylinders!

x18i(118i/218i/318i) models are powered by a turbo 3 cylinder 100 kW [136 PS] gas engine.

On the 116i it can be ordered with the lowest Hp engine, a turbo 3 cylinder 80 kW [109 PS].

And then lets not forget the i8... wonder what magic ///M will do with the i8S model that's forthcoming.

Dackel
Wasn't the i8s supposedly due last year? And if I remember rightly we were told time and time again by people in-the-know that ///M and i were different philosophies and two ends of a spectrum that will never meet.

I'm not saying I agree with it at all.

I also think BMW missed a HUGE opportunity not expanding the i8 engine line-up and including M.

Seeing your post also reminded me I haven't heard anything at all about the supposed i8s for at least a year now too.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      09-24-2017, 06:48 AM   #51
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
And if I remember rightly we were told time and time again by people in-the-know that ///M and i were different philosophies and two ends of a spectrum that will never meet.
Nonsense of M, both are performance cars.

I know a few guys handing in their M6 for an i8 and as I understand, they generally consider it to be an upgrade. They admit that the drama is gone, but at the end, the sacrifice was easy to overcome. Also since the drama lost its social acceptance.
Appreciate 1
clbmw631.00
      09-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #52
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Clearing garage space

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Good, now to just make future 6cyl M engines sound good.

And I hope I’m not alive anymore the day they announce a Fully Electric BMW M5.
My M2 sounds pretty damn good with M Perf Exhaust.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      09-25-2017, 03:17 AM   #53
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:
And if I remember rightly we were told time and time again by people in-the-know that ///M and i were different philosophies and two ends of a spectrum that will never meet.
Nonsense of M, both are performance cars.

I know a few guys handing in their M6 for an i8 and as I understand, they generally consider it to be an upgrade. They admit that the drama is gone, but at the end, the sacrifice was easy to overcome. Also since the drama lost its social acceptance.
Well in terms of it being lighter and more expensive yes it is an upgrade. It's also superior technologically and in terms of efficiency, in everything but power and displacement I think of the i8 as a top of range stunning car.
Where I am I've seen virtually no M6s on the road and only a very occasional i8 once every few months. Far more M4s and M5s about. I don't think i8 has sold in the way it was expected to.

I think the i8 would have sold better if there were a range of engines / motors.

I've heard all the arguments against and why not but that's my view. It's simple, people will and do pay for carbon mirror caps (or Union Jack ones in the mini world), carbon fibre gear knobs etc they will certainly pay for an I4 and I6 engine in the i8. Listening to people and reading over the years most of sports car purchasing is about having fun but also a fair bit of willy-waving; a 3cyl engine is like trying to do that on a cold day before you've started puberty.

Having said that, does one actually need more than an i8? Most probably not, but there's a reason it hasn't sold like hot cakes and I think the above may well be something to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #54
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Where I am I've seen virtually no M6s on the road...
Haha I just saw an M6
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #55
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I don't think i8 has sold in the way it was expected to.
The i8 is the start of new breed, a prodigy. Since they have to invest a lot in development now to get started. They need to start at the top of the range and stick a high price on it. The i8 is probably overpriced for what it is since I can understand that a much lower priced M4 is a more satisfying ride. This doesn't mean that M has the future.

The Ms are the end of a age in which all technology is matured and progression reaches an asymptote. You pay premium for some none standard stuff, but +90% is still standard of course.

I presume that the speed of i getting the upperhand still accelerates and the center of market gravity will be in the basket of i surprinsingly soon. Certainly when politicians are helping like in Europe.
Appreciate 1
clbmw631.00