New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #45
BMWKLR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: white m235 cp RED w/gray pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Electric drive will mark the demise of manual transmissions. Not sure how adding electric drive to every BMW in the future syncs up with retaining manual trannys.
They can always add a fake shifter and clutch pedal to complement the fake cabin engine sound already present,lol.
Appreciate 8
tetsuo1111224.00
zinner556.00
Efthreeoh16949.00
DrtyJrze707.00
MSups693.50
wdb4673.00
      09-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #46
jrlee53
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKLR View Post
They can always add a fake shifter and clutch pedal to complement the fake cabin engine sound already present,lol.
Sweet, now I can feel like I'm in Fast and Furious 6 with right hand drive SMG's with a clutch... Yea I'm still confused by that, that and how mechanical an SMG shift can sound

2003 Cobra -> 2010 BMW e90 M3 - Space Grey - Black on Carbon Leather Int. - BRILLIANT CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #47
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: DV F80

I wanted a C63 but got a M3. Why? Manual transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 4
mtoosexy723.00
Efthreeoh16949.00
Mikster56.50
      09-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #48
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep

Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu
Yup, i saw the new C63 at the autoshow in February. Gorgeous!! I was in an out of the Merc dealership in under 4 mins. Was ready to buy too. found out no manual was offered, i was out!!
      09-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #49
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep

Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
R&T: BMW M Hasn't Given Up on Rear-Wheel Drive and Manual Transmissions Yet

"From a rational standpoint, a manual transmission makes no sense—it's slower, and fuel economy is worse than with an automated transmission," Van Meel said. "Put that aside, it has an emotional component, which means there are a lot of people who love manual transmissions."
Van Meel is toxic to driving enthusiasts like me. Stop telling us why drivers need to adapt to your technology. Instead, listen to what we want (manual transmissions, naturally aspirated, high-revving performance sedans) and build them!

Van Meel is to BMW what Roger Smith was for Cadillac / GM. Brand equity isn't limitless, and BMW is overdrawn. The brand used to be aspirational because it was Authentic (see M cars up through E46). Now? Where's the beef? BMW is simply a German wanna-be Prius.

I'm of an age that swore "only German cars". Now, cars with classically German attributes are built by Chevy, Cadillac, and Ford in Detroit. Where are the great auto execs of the past like Bob Lutz and Albert Biermann? Seems the current board aspires to be Toyota more than Porsche.

This is my last BMW. It's only in my garage because there are so few wagons available. The M2 might find a place in my garage, but why, when a ZL1 1LE smokes anything from Germany except a 918? And the Camaro brings focus and purity of design to the game that BMW can only dream about. This is Authenticity. All institutions evolve. And some, like BMW, devolve....
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794

Last edited by tetsuo111; 09-20-2017 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #50
zinner
Major
Rep

Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKLR View Post
How about a 4K 46" LCD and a PS4 with gran turismo in your self driving electric car.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #51
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Quote:

"From a rational standpoint, a manual transmission makes no sense—it's slower, and fuel economy is worse than with an automated transmission," Van Meel said. "Put that aside, it has an emotional component, which means there are a lot of people who love manual transmissions."
Van Meel is toxic to driving enthusiasts like me. Stop telling us why drivers need to adapt to your technology. Instead, listen to what we want (manual transmissions, naturally aspirated, high-revving performance sedans) and build them!

Van Meel is to BMW what Roger Smith was for Cadillac / GM. Brand equity isn't limitless, and BMW is overdrawn. The brand used to be aspirational because it was Authentic (see M cars up through E46). Now? Where's the beef? BMW is simply a German wanna-be Prius.

I'm of an age that swore "only German cars". Now, cars with classically German attributes are built by Chevy, Cadillac, and Ford in Detroit. Where are the great auto execs of the past like Bob Lutz and Albert Biermann? Seems the current board aspires to be Toyota more than Porsche.

This is my last BMW. It's only in my garage because it's the best wagon I could find. The M2 might find a place in my garage, but why, when a ZL1 1LE smokes anything from Germany except a 918? All institutions evolve. And some, like BMW, devolve....
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
tetsuo1111224.00
      09-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #52
GMe90
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
"Not giving up on RWD and MT"?! If BMW were to give this up, it would be corporate suicide.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #53
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
The fact that bmw thinks they are doing us a favor by building manual transmission cars is insulting. We are your enthusiasts and the enthusiasm is dwindling. The fact that it is barely just holding on to this old fashion old timey technology for M cars is a death sentence for non-m cars to maintain it in next generations. Sad.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #54
FC05
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Drives: G81 M3 Touring Z3M Coupe

Why not make auto boxes that can simulate manual actions?
All that needs are a fake clutch paddle and a dog-leg shifter.
      09-20-2017, 12:41 AM   #55
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
I can't tell if this is already being done, but I have a feeling that once manuals become too expensive to develop on their own, a supplier is going to develop a standard MT that can be adapted to a wide range of cars sort of how some AT's are today. The idea of autonomous/electric cars don't interest me as much, but if there were some manual shifting component to these cars that could be turned on then I would probably be more receptive. I know this is a long-shot and probably very expensive to develop, but if BMW can turn a car into RWD from AWD from the push of a button, then I can dream haha.
Manual transmissions are, just like AT, mostly manufactured by companies like ZF, Getrag, Tremec etc and then adapted to fit the different manufacturers models.

BMW has mostly used ZF or Getrag MT AFAIK
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 12:41 AM   #56
MidLifeM3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
How about a 4K 46" LCD and a PS4 with gran turismo in your self driving electric car.
Ha! love this. While they're at it, why not add a cheering crowd when you execute a perfect simulated heel-and-toe downshift. Or beep at you when you screw it up.

I love my 6MT but I do recognize that its a bit like owning a classic car (as another poster brought up). And there's nothing wrong with that. Yep, I also loved the throwback experience of my dearly departed Triumph TR6, and I've yet to emotionally let go of my Mk1 MR2 SC even though I can't justify having it occupy my garage while the M3 is out in the elements.

Ultimately my reason for abandoning the older cars was crashworthiness - one too many times getting hit by inattentive drivers makes you think about whether the pleasure of the more intimate connection with the simpler machinery of a classic car is really worth giving up the incredible advances in crash safety of a more modern machine. Not just airbags and ABS but crumple zones and rigid inner capsules and all the mechanical design that makes surviving a head-on with the dopey driver of some 2+ ton trucklet way more probable than in those older machines.

but my kids may never learn to drive manual - I'm not hopeful that there will be any new ones for sale when they are ready to buy a car. And electric motors - yeah that will take over along with electric suspension and chassis and drivetrain tuning will change just like how no engine tuners today talk about jets or needle taper.

2008 E92 6MT carbon roof (sunroof would burn my bald spot)
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111224.00
      09-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #57
t$
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: e92 m3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC05 View Post
Why not make auto boxes that can simulate manual actions?
All that needs are a fake clutch paddle and a dog-leg shifter.
i hope that was sarcasm
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #58
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
Good! As long as it remains in the 2/3/4 series and their M counterparts, it'll be my next car.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #59
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
Good! As long as it remains in the 2/3/4 series and their M counterparts, it'll be my next car.
As was the case with the Fxx 5/6 Series vs. the Fxx M5/M6, it is very possible that the lesser series offerings will lose the MT option before their M counterparts do. In fact, this is already the case today when comparing the 4 Series convertible to the M4 convertible. Therefore, even if the next M2 and M3/M4 keep the manual, the next 2 Series and 3/4 Series may not have one on offer.

I don't necessarily think this will be the case for the upcoming G generation. However, it may very well be the case that fewer G2x and G4x models are offered with the manual transmission than their predecessors. In other words, the MT may not be offered with as many engines and drive types as it is today. BMW has already narrowed the list (for example, you can't get a 330i xDrive with a manual anymore) so further reduction would come as no surprise.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #60
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
As was the case with the Fxx 5/6 Series vs. the Fxx M5/M6, it is very possible that the lesser series offerings will lose the MT option before their M counterparts do. In fact, this is already the case today when comparing the 4 Series convertible to the M4 convertible. Therefore, even if the next M2 and M3/M4 keep the manual, the next 2 Series and 3/4 Series may not have one on offer.

I don't necessarily think this will be the case for the upcoming G generation. However, it may very well be the case that fewer G2x and G4x models are offered with the manual transmission than their predecessors. In other words, the MT may not be offered with as many engines and drive types as it is today. BMW has already narrowed the list (for example, you can't get a 330i xDrive with a manual anymore) so further reduction would come as no surprise.
That's true and I completely agree. IMO as long as they make sure that 6MT is an option in the M240i/M2, M340i/M3 and M440i/M4 respectively, then that's fine by me.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #61
Mikster
Maverick
Canada
Rep

Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
DITTO. Looked at Alfa Romeo and Audi as well. The lack of a manual was the deal breaker.
Appreciate 2
meko177.00
      09-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #62
TNTofthe916
Rep

Drives: 2010 e90 m3, 2015 F83 m4

Post these on your windows and your car will be safe

Millennials will have no clue. Lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
tetsuo1111224.00
CSBM52695.50
Mikster56.50
      09-22-2017, 04:57 AM   #63
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:

Of course, the fact that the M5 is going auto only raises the inevitable question of whether it signals the death of manual transmissions. For Van Meel, the answer is no.

Drive: Next-gen BMW M2 to stay rear-wheel drive

Speaking at the 2017 Frankfurt motor show BMW board member, Klaus Frolich, confirmed that the M2 would not make the switch to front-wheel drive that many other compact BMWs are slated for.

“It was such a good car … I think it would be a very good idea to continue that legacy,” said Frolich when asked if the M2 would remain rear-wheel drive.
Maybe we should revert back to coal and steam power too.
Appreciate 0