New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-10-2017, 05:46 AM   #23
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Retired

Galaxy S8 here. I let go of Apple as my personal phone 3+ years ago. It's an amazing phone with great battery life and a phenomenal camera. I still have an iPhone for work though.

To your point about getting bored with the iPhone and 3D emojis on the X, that's spot on. I got tired of the Apple card trick each September: one gimmick after another.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 05:48 AM   #24
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

One thing that immediately makes any phone OS better is if the designer isn't borderline retarded and doesn't decide to use flat interfaces... like iOS did for numerous generations, they finally fixed all of this with 11. One thing where I think all Samsung devices have an issue is updates, back when I had my S3, Samsung royally fucked up the updates and working with anything on that phone was a pain in the ass. As I mentioned before, the one huge advantage of ios is facetime / imessage, those are apple proprietary platforms that along with the way everything easily integrates between their devices makes a lot of sense for a lot of people.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 06:42 AM   #25
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 718 Cayman

Dont do it, huge mistake. Blue texts 4eva.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #26
doogee
Major
Rep

Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
He must be joking? Iphone reliability sucks compleatly. And i know it because i was a huge iPhone guy, now i am all about Samsung, much better in everything.
If this were true, Apple would be out of the mobile business.

iPhones are more reliable and polished period. There is NO debate.

When the hardware manufacturer also makes the software, there is no beating it.

This is why Android device manufacturers have such a hard time getting an iOS-like experience when it comes to fluid response etc. It's just how it is right now, and it isn't totally their fault. Even Google can't do it. Android is kind of broken from the bottom up, and needs a redo.
      11-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #27
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Drives: Yaz M3

I can't believe how much emphasis is placed on live emojis. Are iPhone people really that simple to satisfy. lols. Here, make your face an animated shit pile.
(apple fans)

I always had iPhones and made the progressive switch to Android. I do prefer stock android but nothing beats the features of the Galaxies, especially the Note 8. When I first went to Samsung from an iPhone, I hated it. Too much lag, cheap phones. I switched to Sony Xperia devices which were amazing, especially the cameras.

After a few years the S6 came out which was an improvement. The S7 was the Samsung that brought me back but I got a Note 5 instead. Now Galaxy devices are very streamlined, very well designed and the samsung skin over stock android is near invisible.

There a just some features I use everyday day that iPhone doesn't have and only really one that Samsung doesn't. For example scroll capture is super useful as well a damn back button, not to mention the S-pen and signing documents right off my phone which helps when traveling and no printer/scanners are accessible. Sure there are iPhone apps solutions but they are crap.
Now one thing Samsung doesn't have is a native visual voice mail app like Iphone. There also android app solutions but they are completely useless crap imo.

You gotta pick your pros and cons. I really love the gesture functionality of the iPhone X but the S-pen, and edge panels, screen size, and widgets on lock and home screens really are hard to beat.

And for goodness sakes, why oh why on earth won't Apple let you customize your home screen, $1000 and I have to just let them fill in from the top. and no clock weather widgets, or always on display, sorry, Eff that.

As for speed, look here. The Note 8 was much faster in day to day app use and ram management. Not to mention the reviewer didn't know he could lock the home button in place at the bottom of the Note 8 for easier access. Android is all about options and personalization where iPhone is like here, use this and these animated shit piles of your face. Really?!

I will say FaceId is a huge step forward but Iris scanning is very tech and secure as well.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 07:37 AM   #28
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
One thing that immediately makes any phone OS better is if the designer isn't borderline retarded and doesn't decide to use flat interfaces... like iOS did for numerous generations, they finally fixed all of this with 11. One thing where I think all Samsung devices have an issue is updates, back when I had my S3, Samsung royally fucked up the updates and working with anything on that phone was a pain in the ass. As I mentioned before, the one huge advantage of ios is facetime / imessage, those are apple proprietary platforms that along with the way everything easily integrates between their devices makes a lot of sense for a lot of people.
The Samsung you remember was absolute total crap. I don't care what anyone says, Samsung didn't start to make a good phone until the Galaxy S6.
I had an S3 and S4...huge lag, crap build, touchwiz nightmares...I ran, literally away. I spent a few years with Sony Xperia phones until Samsung got their crap together.

I actually still favor Xperia devices but their finger print reader and no Iris or FaceId tech is a huge negative, plus their phones have been stuck in design limbo for the last three years.

For the best of Android you need to stick with Google, Samsung...the others fall here and their.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 07:41 AM   #29
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

I understand being bored, I was too earlier this year. But after a few months you’ll miss a phone that doesn’t require restart and force closing of apps to get them to work.

The fancy gimmicky Samsung feature wear off quickly after having to put up with Android. I lasted 5 months on a S8+ before switching back to Apple.

I prefer boring, it just works. Has better app support and fits my needs better.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #30
ASAP
Major General
Rep

I think many people miss the point that customizability is not something many logically look for in a phone, they want an easy out of the box experience, thr iphone offers that.
      11-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #31
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I still think with proper coding the Blackberry6 software was the best but alas. Went from BB6 to Android and i do have issues with lagging over time etc that people report. But i cannot use apple devices, they just drive me crazy, too many menu items are hidden and the data management is just atrocious.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #32
lennyf
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Not understanding why Sprint would'nt carry Google Pixel 2 phones.......
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #33
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Something else

Quote:
imessage and facetime... if ur. willing to give up 2 proprietary systems, it doesnt matter
This is it right here, that's the whole discussion. It will suck to not have iMessage and Facetime (i guess), but iOS 11 is the biggest piece of shit.

They made the keyboard shit by removing all the alt keys, moved around settings to make certain things harder to find, Podcasts can no longer be marked played/unplayed (sounds stupid but that's a big pain in the ass when trying to keep track), and on that note iTunes has been getting worse and worse at syncing played details properly, can't truly turn off wifi and bt from the pull up menu, and more on the personal side ever since i went to iPhone from Android typing has been beyond annoying. For whatever reason, I hate typing on the iPhone, constant errors and the dictionary is always making stupid corrections. Never had an issue on Android keyboards. Screens and camera are better on top tier Androids. Apple is now making you pay $1000+ to get "near bezel-less" phones...yea ok, no thanks.

Also I get my phones through work, and they don't plan to offer the X, but have the S8, and i'm hoping the S9, so that is pretty much the icing on the cake. I've already forewarned the wife that our message threads are going green.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #34
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

The simplest way to distill the differences between iOS and Android is: iOS makes you use your phone the way that Jony Ives decides you should and Android lets you decide how you want to use your phone.

I don't think like Jony Ives and I don't work like Jony Ives, yet an iOS device only works the way Apple decides it should work. Android let's you tailor the experience to exactly how you think and/or work. While it takes effort to customize the phone the way you like, the things I can do with Nova or Action Launcher to make my user epxerience unique and tailored to me sre well worth it.

For example: I long press on Android Pay to bring up my choice of payment cards, but I swipe up on the same icon to open my banking app. I long press my loyalty rewards app to bring up the loyalty card I want, I swipe up to open my Starbucks app. I tap the phone icon for the dialer, but I swipe up to open my WiFi calling app. I have a pane of 10 of these most used apps that appear when I swipe up on my home screen and disappear when I press home. Not because this is the best way for a phone to work for anyone else, but it is the best way for it to work for me. You simply cannot do that with an Apple device.

The other advantage to Android is your choice of hardware. There are great Android phones out there and you're not locked into the core idea of how Samsung and/or Google think a phone should be made or used. The Balckberry KEYOne is phenomenally innovative and the Moto Z line's Moto Mods are just really cool ways of doing different things with your phone (I have the Moto Z and the battery pack and Soundboost mods are indispensable). OnePlus, Oppo, and others are doing really interesting things in the space.

Go with Apple if you don't want to spend any time making your phone your own, know it will work the way it was intended, and want a familiar user experience. But, I would never use an iOS device for anything because I know that I can do something far more powerful, more self-intuitive, and more personal with any Android device.

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 11-10-2017 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #35
lennyf
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

You can Facetime on Android with Google Duo.
You an even Facetime with someone on iPhone but they have to download free Google Duo app.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #36
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
The simplest way to distill the differences between iOS and Android is: iOS makes you use your phone the way that Jony Ives decides you should and Android lets you decide how you want to use your phone.

I don't think like Jony Ives and I don't work like Jony Ives, yet an iOS device only works the way Apple decides it should work. Android let's you tailor the experience to exactly how you think and/or work. While it takes effort to customize the phone the way you like, the things I can do with Nova or Action Launcher to make my user epxerience unique and tailored to me sre well worth it.

For example: I long press on Android Pay to bring up my choice of payment cards, but I swipe up on the same icon to open my banking app. I long press my loyalty rewards app to bring up the loyalty card I want, I swipe up to open my Starbucks app. I tap the phone icon for the dialer, but I swipe up to open my WiFi calling app. I have a pane of 10 of these most used apps that appear when I swipe up on my home screen and disappear when I press home. Not because this is the best way for a phone to work for anyone else, but it is the best way for it to work for me. You simply cannot do that with an Apple device.

The other advantage to Android is your choice of hardware. There are great Android phones out there and you're not locked into the core idea of how Samsung and/or Google think a phone should be made or used. The Balckberry KEYOne is phenomenally innovative and the Moto Z line's Moto Mods are just really cool ways of doing different things with your phone (I have the Moto Z and the battery pack and Soundboost mods are indispensable). OnePlus, Oppo, and others are doing really interesting things in the space.

Go with Apple if you don't want to spend any time making your phone your own, know it will work the way it was intended, and want a familiar user experience. But, I would never use an iOS device for anything because I know that I can do something far more powerful, more self-intuitive, and more personal with any Android device.
Everyone thought this... everyone wanted to customize their phone... then they realized its a phone... next thing you know, apple has billions of dollars in cash reserves

...but whats absolute funniest are the people shitting on iphones, go buy a fucking android, no one cares...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #37
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyf View Post
You can Facetime on Android with Google Duo.
You an even Facetime with someone on iPhone but they have to download free Google Duo app.
lol u can do it with any app... facebook, whatsapp, u name it...

what makes facetime special is that it guarantees everyone with an iphone uses it and has it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #38
b4hand
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Just went from a iphone 7+ to a Note8. I feel they're pretty equal. Tech has come very far and its more down to what you want as an individual. iOS 11 is pretty nice as well, I just wish the iphone was a bit slimmer and had easier navigation controls.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #39
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Everyone thought this... everyone wanted to customize their phone... then they realized its a phone... next thing you know, apple has billions of dollars in cash reserves

...but whats absolute funniest are the people shitting on iphones, go buy a fucking android, no one cares...
You seem awfully angry over nothing. No one cares whether you like your iPhone. You're obviously a proud iLemming. The OP asked a question and posters are giving their opinion ... seems like you need to relax a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #40
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 SO F82

I still have a flip phone
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34173.50
      11-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #41
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
what makes facetime special is that it guarantees everyone with an iphone uses it and has it.
Yeah, but what makes facetime "special" (I know Aussies speak a special kind of english, so to be clear, by "special", I mean "retarded") is that it is 100% restricted to people with iPhones.

In Australia iPhone users make up about 44% of phone users. Android is 52%.
Facebook, however is used by 68% of Australians.

This means (in Australia at least) - If you want to videoconference someone - Facebook Messenger is the most reliable way of doing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 11:09 PM   #42
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
I can't believe how much emphasis is placed on live emojis. Are iPhone people really that simple to satisfy. lols. Here, make your face an animated shit pile.
(apple fans)

I always had iPhones and made the progressive switch to Android. I do prefer stock android but nothing beats the features of the Galaxies, especially the Note 8. When I first went to Samsung from an iPhone, I hated it. Too much lag, cheap phones. I switched to Sony Xperia devices which were amazing, especially the cameras.

After a few years the S6 came out which was an improvement. The S7 was the Samsung that brought me back but I got a Note 5 instead. Now Galaxy devices are very streamlined, very well designed and the samsung skin over stock android is near invisible.

There a just some features I use everyday day that iPhone doesn't have and only really one that Samsung doesn't. For example scroll capture is super useful as well a damn back button, not to mention the S-pen and signing documents right off my phone which helps when traveling and no printer/scanners are accessible. Sure there are iPhone apps solutions but they are crap.
Now one thing Samsung doesn't have is a native visual voice mail app like Iphone. There also android app solutions but they are completely useless crap imo.

You gotta pick your pros and cons. I really love the gesture functionality of the iPhone X but the S-pen, and edge panels, screen size, and widgets on lock and home screens really are hard to beat.

And for goodness sakes, why oh why on earth won't Apple let you customize your home screen, $1000 and I have to just let them fill in from the top. and no clock weather widgets, or always on display, sorry, Eff that.

As for speed, look here. The Note 8 was much faster in day to day app use and ram management. Not to mention the reviewer didn't know he could lock the home button in place at the bottom of the Note 8 for easier access. Android is all about options and personalization where iPhone is like here, use this and these animated shit piles of your face. Really?!

I will say FaceId is a huge step forward but Iris scanning is very tech and secure as well.

That speed test is worthless because iOS isn’t/wasn’t optimized. The speed test guy tests an optimized iPhone 7 on iOS 10 and it destroys a galaxy s8 with the same snapdragon 835 as the note 8.

iOS 11 will be a lot better in a few months.

It’s Apples fault, but iOS 11 needs a lot of fixes. With Apple, you know they’ll eventually get it right.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #43
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep

Right but that's not a Note 8 and neither is a that an iPhone X. You race the car you brought.
Not my fault the iPhone isn't optimized and from what I can tell, neither is that Note 8. There are a few things that can optimize an android phone and by the fact that reviewer didn't even know how to lock the hot keys menu in place which is very easy, then he probably doesn't know how to "optimize" an android device.

With that being said. Who cares. That was a basic test and it does give a reference point which counts.
When you lose a race you can't say, oh but if you would have given me three more weeks I could have been better prepared or at this altitude I would have won. Lols.

It is what it is. Again, just a reference point. Apple dudes get so worked up on speed....which 90% of the people don't really consider in day to day use unless there is an obvious hang problem. Same with screen pixel counts, your eyeballs can't tell the difference between the 400ppi or 600ppi. If I switched the Note 8 and iPhone X's screen tech, your wife, girlfriend, son or I would not know just by opening up Facebook or Youtube.

Just so much silly stuff to argue over. People do like to customize, and some people like my wife don't, but she still prefers an android. You want to let apple tell you how to use your phone, cool. I for one really like to be able to enjoy something simple like an unobstructed view of my home screen back ground, among a myriad of other things. But what do I care what people choose. It's laughable how some people in this thread get so worked up. It's opinions and first hand accounts/testimony, we throw people in jail for these same views on an issue, so their experience counts for something, particularly if it's objective. Chose based on the info and your preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
That speed test is worthless because iOS isn’t/wasn’t optimized. The speed test guy tests an optimized iPhone 7 on iOS 10 and it destroys a galaxy s8 with the same snapdragon 835 as the note 8.

iOS 11 will be a lot better in a few months.

It’s Apples fault, but iOS 11 needs a lot of fixes. With Apple, you know they’ll eventually get it right.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #44
isakhnov
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: f10 M5 CP - SG/AB

Get a pixel 2 if you are getting android. I had Samsung’s in the past and att was months behind on patches and updates while with pixel you get it once released. And at this point of mobile world you do want to be up to date on the patches Apple also makes some questoinalble security decisions with iOS and this is where I do trust google more.
Customization was another huge deal and the reason why I still resist while the rest of my family had been using iPhones for years.
Appreciate 0