New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #45
are0lies
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvineTim View Post
I still have a flip phone
What?? And you live in Irvine? How dare you! Actually I envy you. I still call myself crazy for paying what I pay for phones nowadays, all in the name of convenience. You are pretty smart.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #46
LeoSanders27
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2012 M3

I made the switch years ago and am quite happy I did so. I use a lot of google products so it made sense for me to switch. Not that apple isn't great too, but I just find that google products work with everything whereas Apple tries to make you use all of their own stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #47
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
This is my experience with apple. iPhone is blazing fast until 2 generations later comes out, and I get the iOS forced down my throat, and after I can't stand the annoying popups anymore, against my better judgement, I 'upgrade' my iOS and now the phone is almost a brick. Just happened with the 8/X iOS release and my 6 is dogshit now. Was running ultra fast and smooth before the iOS update. Had a similar experience with my 4, but I was ok to upgrade since the hardware was so improved by the time the 6 came out. Hardware improvements from 6 to 8? Not necessary for me.

As you can tell, I don't care to have the latest and greatest when all I do is call, text, email, music stream, internet. Yet I'm forced to upgrade more often than I need because I can't do those basic functions very well once 2 generations later comes out. I'm convinced it's a scam with the way they code the new iOS.

/rant
My experience exactly and I too am in that camp. Feels 100% like a scam. My brand new iPhone 6+ (they replaced it under Apple Care 3 months ago) that worked perfectly prior to the latest iOS now lags and crashes constantly.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #48
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
My experience exactly and I too am in that camp. Feels 100% like a scam. My brand new iPhone 6+ (they replaced it under Apple Care 3 months ago) that worked perfectly prior to the latest iOS now lags and crashes constantly.
My iphone X isn't perfect with Ios11... I don't think its a scam, I think Ios 11 sucks and still has a lot of bugs.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #49
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
I'm convinced it's a scam with the way they code the new iOS.
Scam is the wrong word, but yes it is a thing.

It's called "forced obsolescence", or "planned obsolescence" (Wikipedia) - and if you start typing it into google, the first suggested search is "forced obsolescence apple".

It used to be an open secret in the telco industry that apple did it... these days I feel it's inaccurate to call it a "secret" - I think it's more like the NSA spying on US Citizens - something we all know happens but feel we can't do anything about, so we just accept it and move on.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #50
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

It's called "forced obsolescence", or "planned obsolescence" (Wikipedia) - and if you start typing it into google, the first suggested search is "forced obsolescence apple".

It used to be an open secret in the telco industry that apple did it... these days I feel it's inaccurate to call it a "secret" - I think it's more like the NSA spying on US Citizens - something we all know happens but feel we can't do anything about, so we just accept it and move on.
I understand forced obsolescence, but 2 years is inappropriately short in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #51
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

Yes, because as hardware gets better we should just keep the same programs instead of making them use the additional hardware.

It's not like they code extra bugs into certain versions of the phone if they are too old. You are also not forced to update to the new OS so you can keep your old phone with your OS generally as long as you would like to.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #52
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Yes, because as hardware gets better we should just keep the same programs instead of making them use the additional hardware.
Sarcasm aside, I agree with you. The iPhone X should ship with IOS 11 to take advantage of the hardware & software improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
It's not like they code extra bugs into certain versions of the phone if they are too old. You are also not forced to update to the new OS so you can keep your old phone with your OS generally as long as you would like to.
On this point, I disagree.

Apple don't need to intentionally code in bugs, they just don't optimize their new software to run on their old hardware; so they turn on features that need hardware acceleration which only exists on the new platform, meaning the same routine will run instantly on an iPhone 8, and take 3 seconds to complete on an iPhone 7. They increase the RAM and Storage allocations on each successive iPhone, so if you install IOS 11 on a iPhone 6, it'll be using 90% of ram and 80% of storage at idle - whereas on an iPhone 8 it'll be 40% of each. ... So when you load up spotify on an iPhone 6, you suddenly start getting memory related issues, which you don't get on newer hardware.
All of this has the unfortunate side effect of you finding your old phone/tablet slow and crashy - so you go and hand another $1,200 to apple for a new device.

Finally, and here's my gripe - They DO force you to update the software.

Assuming you're an iPhone user - if you're not running IOS 11, try resisting the upgrade for a month or two. Rumor has it it's buggy anyway. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Apple's update screen does NOT HAVE THE OPTION of "do not remind me again".

My iPad Mini has just reached the stage where it runs great on IOS 10, but Apple think it should be on IOS 11. I don't want IOS 11, IOS 10 is just perfect for that device.

I know if I upgrade to IOS 11 it'll be slow and crap; but since I don't want to upgrade, I'll be clicking "remind me later" on the "Would you like to upgrade to IOS 11?" screen every single time I go to use it.

This is annoying, but not nearly as annoying as ... that fateful day in the near future when my wife or kids picks up the iPad and mindlessly clicks "yes", when my iPad mini will be irreversibly "upgraded" to a slow, crashy apple tablet.
Appreciate 2
sirdaft12202.50
Reborn_295.00
      11-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #53
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:

Apple don't need to intentionally code in bugs, they just don't optimize their new software to run on their old hardware; so they turn on features that need hardware acceleration which only exists on the new platform, meaning the same routine will run instantly on an iPhone 8, and take 3 seconds to complete on an iPhone 7. They increase the RAM and Storage allocations on each successive iPhone, so if you install IOS 11 on a iPhone 6, it'll be using 90% of ram and 80% of storage at idle - whereas on an iPhone 8 it'll be 40% of each. ... So when you load up spotify on an iPhone 6, you suddenly start getting memory related issues, which you don't get on newer hardware.
All of this has the unfortunate side effect of you finding your old phone/tablet slow and crashy - so you go and hand another $1,200 to apple for a new device.

Assuming you're an iPhone user - if you're not running IOS 11, try resisting the upgrade for a month or two. Rumor has it it's buggy anyway. You'll see what I'm talking about.

My iPad Mini has just reached the stage where it runs great on IOS 10, but Apple think it should be on IOS 11. I don't want IOS 11, IOS 10 is just perfect for that device.

I know if I upgrade to IOS 11 it'll be slow and crap; but since I don't want to upgrade, I'll be clicking "remind me later" on the "Would you like to upgrade to IOS 11?" screen every single time I go to use it.

This is annoying, but not nearly as annoying as ... that fateful day in the near future when my wife or kids picks up the iPad and mindlessly clicks "yes", when my iPad mini will be irreversibly "upgraded" to a slow, crashy apple tablet.
Amen to that.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #54
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Sarcasm aside, I agree with you. The iPhone X should ship with IOS 11 to take advantage of the hardware & software improvements.

You had your responses out of order so I will go ahead and put them right for you.

You just said yourself that they do not force you to update, it is due to you being annoyed by being asked about it (certainly not every time you use your phone, I am not even asked once a week for iOS11 but I do remember it being about daily when I was pushing off the last update).

Even if your kids upgrade you, you can easily restore your phone from your last backup and still be on your treasured prior OS. I still have an iPhone 3gs that is lightyears behind on iOS and it works just fine aside from the battery life starting to deteriorate faster and faster.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #55
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

New Pokιmon Go will only be 3D on iPhone

mic drop
Appreciate 0