New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

10-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
ericbikes
Rep

Drives: 2000 528i

E39- Did I fry it?? Please help!!

OMG- I have a 2000 528i (it's been running great) and was trying to figure out the SRS light issue. I have a launch CR 229 scanner that showed me some SRS fault codes. One of the codes was the F0 Controller fault code. I wanted to see if disconnecting battery would do anything so I did that carefully and waited 5 mins, touched +/- cable ends together for 10s and reconnected the battery. The SRS light was still on the dash. So, I re-ran the scan and it showed the same 4 SRS fault codes. There happened to be 2 other wheel sensor codes that I dismissed (I recently reinstalled the right speed sensor and the light went off, so I cleared the fault codes for that from memory). I mention this incase it's related somehow.

When I went to start the car, it just clicked and no ignition. I tried maybe 6-7 times and now the car is acting like the battery is dead (no lights on dash except battery and oil), so I removed the battery cables and reinstalled just to make sure. I put a charge on it and it does not seem to make a difference. Only the oil and battery light will come on and the car is basically dead. No action at all when I turn the key.

The battery is good and the car has always started without issue. I had just started it before I removed the battery. What the heck happened???
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
ericbikes
Rep

Drives: 2000 528i

I think this is all set- I jumped the car with my other and after about 2-3 mins of charging it started. I have no idea why the battery went from perfect to dead in a matter of minutes and only trying to start the car less than 10x. Maybe time for new battery??
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbikes
I think this is all set- I jumped the car with my other and after about 2-3 mins of charging it started. I have no idea why the battery went from perfect to dead in a matter of minutes and only trying to start the car less than 10x. Maybe time for new battery??
Usually 5 minutes isn't long enough to reset anything. I would disconnect and let it sit for at least 20 minutes and see if that works.
Appreciate 0