New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

05-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
TravisBurrell
Rep

Drives: 2000 M5

Fuel Gauge and Odometer dead AirBag Light ON

Im hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction because ive been searching threads for days and they are all different situations and don't exactly fit my problem.

( E39 2002 530. It has 100,000 miles on it. )

Last week my airbag light came on. On Friday after searching threads someone suggested to unplug the battery and let it sit and then plug back in and see if it would reset. I didn't think it would work but trying to eliminate a problem in the most simplest and easiest way first thought I would give it a try.

Monday morning plugged the battery back in and airbag light was still on and NOW I noticed my fuel gauge and odometer are gone. The whole odometer section is blank. Im hearing dings when I start the car. My Speedometer and RPM gauges work. Temp works.

Ive checked the fuses under the glove box and all look fine. Maybe I should replace all the ones relating to gauge cluster anyways?
I also pulled the gauge cluster out and all plugs are solid and in firm.

This week I will have someone read the codes if the PEAKE reader doesn't find anything.
Will peake reader give me the answers when I get home? Or does anyone have any helpful advice?

Thanks in advance for reading this and any help you offer.

(some helpful info about the car: the water pump and ABS module have been replaced by my friend recently. He mentioned the Alternator looked new and previous owner could have had one installed somewhere and mechanic put the wrong "insert proper term for power or wattage or volts here?" Sorry I don't remember what he said. Im wondering if Im going to have multiple electrical problems with this car and should get rid of it even though it has a loan on it. The alarm has gone off twice randomly even though Ive unplugged the sensor under hood. The seat has moved down slightly, once will driving.
Appreciate 0