New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

05-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
drum39
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2003 540 M Sport

2003 540 M Sport. Angel eyes won't go out.

Hello all. Last night I pulled into my driveway, turned off the ignition and removed the key. While walking away noticed that my angel eyes, side marker light and tail light ( all driver's side ) had not shut off. I restarted the car and shut it down and the same thing happened. I pulled the connectors on all of them to keep the battery from discharging. Can anyone tell me where to start looking for the cause?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Check the position of your turn indicator. My Canadian spec E39 does this - its a feature that is mandatory for operating your car in Europe. The theory is this: when you park you car on a narrow street, you leave your driver's side tail light, marker, and front light (in your case, angel eye) so that cars don't hit you. When you park the car (and turn it off) and then place the turn indicator into the 'left' position, it will activate your lights. It also does this for the passenger side if you move the turn indicator to the right. If in fact your indicator is in neutral and this is still happening, you may have a fault in the indicator circuit.

Hope this helps. The first time I accidentally bumped the indicator after shut-down, what you described happened to me. I went through a couple of checks to see if I could reset it. Finally, I got lucky and noticed the turn indicator was not in neutral - I had bumped it on the way out of the car.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
supra94tt
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2000 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
Check the position of your turn indicator. My Canadian spec E39 does this - its a feature that is mandatory for operating your car in Europe. The theory is this: when you park you car on a narrow street, you leave your driver's side tail light, marker, and front light (in your case, angel eye) so that cars don't hit you. When you park the car (and turn it off) and then place the turn indicator into the 'left' position, it will activate your lights. It also does this for the passenger side if you move the turn indicator to the right. If in fact your indicator is in neutral and this is still happening, you may have a fault in the indicator circuit.

Hope this helps. The first time I accidentally bumped the indicator after shut-down, what you described happened to me. I went through a couple of checks to see if I could reset it. Finally, I got lucky and noticed the turn indicator was not in neutral - I had bumped it on the way out of the car.

Cheers.
+1
Appreciate 0