New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: X1

Replica Wheels

I've currently got a square set of AluFelgen CS7's (CSL Reps). 19x8.5, ET35. Low Pressure Cast. Love these wheels. No damage aside from the fact that the finish around the lip is starting to flake to bare aluminum.

I've made a few phone calls and it looks like my cost to have the tires removed, wheels stripped, powder coated and then the tires replaced is $500-525.

As you may know, AluFelgen is not producing wheels anymore. This makes me nervous. Basically, if I damage a wheel, I cannot purchase a replacement.

I can buy a set of IPW brand wheels on eBay that appear to be absolutely identical for $628 with free shipping. They are identical to my CS7's with exception of the AluFelgen logo. I've researched IPW (Innovative Performance Wheels) a little bit and it appears their design is also Low Pressure Cast, like my AluFelgens, and they come with a 1 year warranty. I do not track the vehicle, and only drive 6,000-8,000 miles a year. I have a designated set of Snow Wheels that are placed on my x1 from November until April.

Does anyone have experience with IPW brand wheels specifically? Would you trust these as your seasonal wheels for the summer with a child in the back seat?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 18 M3 6MT

you live in NY stay away from reps. only takes 1 pot hole to crack them.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
msan
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Saw these on eBay, might be a better option

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272565569891
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
Saw these on eBay, might be a better option

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272565569891
I've been watching these like a hawk but zoom in on the two wheels on the left. From what I can see (At least with the lower one) there is some pretty major damage on that lip. Nothing that can easily be stripped and coated over.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
msan
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Well I was thinking since you were afraid you could not get replacements in the future. So buy the ebay set and powder coat your current ones and some or all of the ebay ones and then you have spares
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 228iX & M2C

I doubt there is a more heavily stressed and abused piece on a car than the wheel/tire, so you are really taking a chance w/ a knockoff. There is a lot of high tech and specialized manufacturing that goes into a quality wheel, much of it invisible. The repro's are mainly aiming to look right, and some take no care about durability. They also often counterfeit things like TUV certification, so you can't trust that they have the cast-in markings (hoping I'm remembering my acronyms - any of the safety certificates can be faked). I'd stick with quality wheels, even if more money or a PITA to fix. Possible alternatives might be searching a bit to see if any old NOS versions can be found, or if there are simpler ways to repair yours, even if less durable (I had a buddy paint wheels while still mounted w/ tires - looked good for about 2 years before it started to flake from the edges).
Appreciate 1
vadimo310.00
      02-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
Well I was thinking since you were afraid you could not get replacements in the future. So buy the ebay set and powder coat your current ones and some or all of the ebay ones and then you have spares
I contacted him to see exactly which size wheels were damaged (since his set is staggered.) Asked if he'd maybe break up the set. We'll see.

Like I said, I love my current CS7's and I wouldn't change anything about them aside the coating and maybe having a spare or two in my garage, just in case.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I doubt there is a more heavily stressed and abused piece on a car than the wheel/tire, so you are really taking a chance w/ a knockoff. There is a lot of high tech and specialized manufacturing that goes into a quality wheel, much of it invisible. The repro's are mainly aiming to look right, and some take no care about durability. They also often counterfeit things like TUV certification, so you can't trust that they have the cast-in markings (hoping I'm remembering my acronyms - any of the safety certificates can be faked). I'd stick with quality wheels, even if more money or a PITA to fix. Possible alternatives might be searching a bit to see if any old NOS versions can be found, or if there are simpler ways to repair yours, even if less durable (I had a buddy paint wheels while still mounted w/ tires - looked good for about 2 years before it started to flake from the edges).
I attempted to call the eBay dealer to ask a couple questions about his set. Went to a Google internet phone voicemail. No thanks. Imagine taking up a warranty with that sort of customer service.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

May wants to consider 703s from VMR Wheels. Little more expensive but the quality is there.

Source: I have them.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #10
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
May wants to consider 703s from VMR Wheels. Little more expensive but the quality is there.

Source: I have them.
I think the OP wants cheap sh*t on his bimmer. VMR wheels are pretty decent and have nice looking styles.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #11
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: BMW Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
you live in NY stay away from reps. only takes 1 pot hole to crack them.

Do you have personal experience from cracking reps? Is it so easy? I ask because I am thinking to buy one set and our roads here have a lot of pot holes...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
Do you have personal experience from cracking reps? Is it so easy? I ask because I am thinking to buy one set and our roads here have a lot of pot holes...
I stay away from that stuff but a handful of my friends have cracked there reps with regrets of the purchase. People don't realize until it happens to them. All it takes is one pothole.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #13
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep

I've talked with a couple local subaru and honda guys (Not that I'm attempting to associate myself with "That" crowd). Some of them have reps and swear by them for the money. I guess it all comes down to whether they're gravity cast or low pressure cast. I'm told to just do my research and ensure that what I'm putting on the car is pressure cast. Gravity Cast can leave pockets of air or inconsistencies in the structure of the wheel. Pressure casting removes the ability for these pockets to exist as the casting cools.

I'm not necessarily looking to put cheap wheels on the car. Just trying to determine what the sweet spot is based on what I'd actually get out of them. I drive a flat thruway 4 miles to work. Don't live in the city. Pot holes are not as much of an issue where I'm from. I'll have this car approximately 2 more years (12 summer months)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #14
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolinX1 View Post
I've talked with a couple local subaru and honda guys (Not that I'm attempting to associate myself with "That" crowd). Some of them have reps and swear by them for the money. I guess it all comes down to whether they're gravity cast or low pressure cast. I'm told to just do my research and ensure that what I'm putting on the car is pressure cast. Gravity Cast can leave pockets of air or inconsistencies in the structure of the wheel. Pressure casting removes the ability for these pockets to exist as the casting cools.

I'm not necessarily looking to put cheap wheels on the car. Just trying to determine what the sweet spot is based on what I'd actually get out of them. I drive a flat thruway 4 miles to work. Don't live in the city. Pot holes are not as much of an issue where I'm from. I'll have this car approximately 2 more years (12 summer months)
Get decent wheels, definitely don't settle for wheels that are less than OEM standards. Especially more so if putting your family in the car. Like I said VMR makes a CSL look alike, it meets TUV/JWL standards, and is a reputable company. They are about twice the price as these ebay wheels, but I don't worry about the fucking wheels falling off my car.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3830.00
      02-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #15
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
if you live anywhere in the world stay away from reps.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #16
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 228iX & M2C

I just checked the pic for these, and it looks a lot like the sparco pro corsa I run for winter, if you want s/t less pricy than VMR that is still legit. IIRC those are pressure cast, mine have held up for 2 winters here. I wouldn't trust an ebay brand to be honest about materials/methods - they often just say what you want to hear.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 07:37 PM   #17
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

I saw "expensive" wheels like Breyton, OZ Racing ( ACS and MAE Mercedes) cracking... there are definitely good quality replica wheels on the market.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Yes

Unless you're buying wheels made by BBS, Rays, or HRE...leave them stock.
Appreciate 0