New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2017 F80

It happens because of Murphy law? Question about roadside assistance

Ok. It happened. I got flat tire 6 miles from home. Next to my office. I got someones wheel weight (clip on) stuck in my tire.

Questions:
1. Can I use roadside assistance to tow car to my home? (not a dealer). And should I? I have winter wheels at home I can just swap rears quickly on a parking lot, but will have to have my wife to pick me up.

2. I assume(but want to make sure) that 1 MPSS (rear) will be OK to replace, 2.5k miles on a tire. Or should I do pair?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by katit View Post
Ok. It happened. I got flat tire 6 miles from home. Next to my office. I got someones wheel weight (clip on) stuck in my tire.

Questions:
1. Can I use roadside assistance to tow car to my home? (not a dealer). And should I? I have winter wheels at home I can just swap rears quickly on a parking lot, but will have to have my wife to pick me up.

2. I assume(but want to make sure) that 1 MPSS (rear) will be OK to replace, 2.5k miles on a tire. Or should I do pair?

Yes you can use Roadside if you want, but if it's not an inconvenience, just go pick up your wheels. If your tire just has a nail in it.........plug it. Why buy a brand new tire unnecessarily?!?!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep

I sure hope plug will work. It's about 1in from edge and this wheel weight was in by red line...

Murphy law because I NEVER had flat tires in 15 years of driving (all cars with spare)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
bgomesm4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: YMB M4

In your case I would just park the car in the side of the road for a few min and grab one of the wheels from your spare set. Easy and quick..specially since you can have the wife come scoop you!

I've had some bad luck with flat tires.... I had like 3 flat tires in the 10 months. Gladly my previous car had a spare in the trunk.... The M4 does not and also no run-flats (only 2 months owning it so far....

I've been wondering if I should get some sort of aftermarket spare and throw it in the trunk... Did anyone consider that? Idc about a few extra pounds since the car is my daily driver and I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllyyyyy don't want to have to call road assistance and wait for a while = /

I could fix a nail or small leak, but sometimes you just need a new tire... '
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgomesm4 View Post
I've been wondering if I should get some sort of aftermarket spare and throw it in the trunk... Did anyone consider that? Idc about a few extra pounds since the car is my daily driver and I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllyyyyy don't want to have to call road assistance and wait for a while = /

I could fix a nail or small leak, but sometimes you just need a new tire... '
I think someone sells whole "set" that you can get for M3/4 with spare wheel which covers brakes.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by katit View Post
I sure hope plug will work. It's about 1in from edge and this wheel weight was in by red line...

Murphy law because I NEVER had flat tires in 15 years of driving (all cars with spare)
Good luck! It might be too large a hole to patch.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 11:23 PM   #7
M47
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 328 xDrive

1. No. The BMW Roadside assist will only tow the car to the BMW dealerships near you.
Appreciate 0