New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #1233
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I have a Springfield MC operator 1911 which I like a lot
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #1234
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: X5 40d SE

Right, too many 1911's being posted now

All this modern 9mm stuff passes me by quite easily, but when you start posting photos of proper firearms that I can't have/shoot over here anymore my jealously level ramps up too many notches......

When I was over in Texas last year for a week, I managed to get some range time in for a few hours, and it was the first time since 2005 I'd been able to shoot a 1911 again
      02-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #1235
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I went with this - love it. Shoots better than I can...least I'm pretty certain it is operator error on my part. I'm nowhere near my American counterparts in accuracy, but unlike Moddie, I can hit the broad side of a barn. The reason for that is because unlike him, I won't be aiming for it. Anything I'm aiming for is totally safe from harm.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/stainless-raptor-ii-45acp
That's a nice looking 1911. Great choice.
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7929.00
      02-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #1236
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Right, too many 1911's being posted now

All this modern 9mm stuff passes me by quite easily, but when you start posting photos of proper firearms that I can't have/shoot over here anymore my jealously level ramps up too many notches......

When I was over in Texas last year for a week, I managed to get some range time in for a few hours, and it was the first time since 2005 I'd been able to shoot a 1911 again
My 1911 story started with wanting to reduce my caliber collection from 9mm, .40, 5.56 to just .40 and 5.56. I went to the LGS to see what my fairly rare 9mm Stainless IMI Baby Eagle would be worth along with the intent to buy a full size .40 as i already had a compact sized G23.

With the sad news i wasn't going to get what i had seen fair market for the 9mm, i figured i'd sell it privately. So i started looking at full size .40s and came across the Kimber case. I had heard of Kimber and didn't know what all the fuss was about. Asked a sales person and he explained whey they were coveted. Money must have been burning a hole in my pocket because i was quick to decide to buy a Kimber. Sales guy must have been biased because he talked me into the Sig Scorpion 1911 for a few hundred less. Deal was done.

So i went with the intent to thin my caliber collection and ended up adding another caliber to the mix! I had let my CCP laps so i had the 3 day wait. When i went back to pick it up i must have lost my mind because when the guy said "is this all you want? Because you just cleared the BG check and waited 3 days, we can add anything you want without waiting again..." i said, sure, i'll take that HK P30 in 9mm. lol

After much research on ballistics between 9mm and .40, i ditched the .40 and kept the 9mm. .45, 5.56 and have added .300blk along with .22lr. I literally avoid the 1911 cabinet when at the range.... there is just something about them.
      02-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #1237
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: o_0

I have a Sig 1911 (Fastback Nightmare) that's held up well for me. Maybe I don't have enough rounds thru it yet, but I haven't had a problem yet.
      02-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #1238
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
My 1911 story started with wanting to reduce my caliber collection from 9mm, .40, 5.56 to just .40 and 5.56. I went to the LGS to see what my fairly rare 9mm Stainless IMI Baby Eagle would be worth along with the intent to buy a full size .40 as i already had a compact sized G23.

With the sad news i wasn't going to get what i had seen fair market for the 9mm, i figured i'd sell it privately. So i started looking at full size .40s and came across the Kimber case. I had heard of Kimber and didn't know what all the fuss was about. Asked a sales person and he explained whey they were coveted. Money must have been burning a hole in my pocket because i was quick to decide to buy a Kimber. Sales guy must have been biased because he talked me into the Sig Scorpion 1911 for a few hundred less. Deal was done.

So i went with the intent to thin my caliber collection and ended up adding another caliber to the mix! I had let my CCP laps so i had the 3 day wait. When i went back to pick it up i must have lost my mind because when the guy said "is this all you want? Because you just cleared the BG check and waited 3 days, we can add anything you want without waiting again..." i said, sure, i'll take that HK P30 in 9mm. lol

After much research on ballistics between 9mm and .40, i ditched the .40 and kept the 9mm. .45, 5.56 and have added .300blk along with .22lr. I literally avoid the 1911 cabinet when at the range.... there is just something about them.
I get it. I drool over the 1911 cabinet whenever I pass by it at a store or range. But non 1911's...meh, nice and all, but I can pass by without a second look more or less.

My impulses have been constrained by the fact though that I've been informed by my wife that two firearms are enough for our household and I will be spending significant (if not eternal) time in the doghouse should I come home with another firearm. So I've been able to resist the urge to purchase another one thus far with that threat hanging over me.
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka6058.00
Biorin2784.50
      02-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #1239
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
I want my next 1911 to be blacked out. Love the look.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/master-carry-ultra
Yeah blacked out is cool look. My sa is black with dark od green grips, looks purposeful
Attached Images

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 02-24-2017 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #1240
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
i ditched the .40 and kept the 9mm. .45, 5.56 and have added .300blk along with .22lr. I literally avoid the 1911 cabinet when at the range.... there is just something about them.
I'm glad you ditched that garbage caliber. 9mm and 45 are my favorite. I have no desire to own anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yeah blacked out is cool look. My sa is black with dark od green grips, looks purposeful
Sounds like you have the right amount of OD. If something has too much OD, I think it looks tacky.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #1241
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I have a Sig 1911 (Fastback Nightmare) that's held up well for me. Maybe I don't have enough rounds thru it yet, but I haven't had a problem yet.
Mine had feed ramp, side catch and mag issues. Went 600 rounds with at least one failure in every mag. On a Thursday at 4:50 pm EST i got them on the phone. Explained the issue. Within 15 min of hanging up i got an air bill to send the pistol back to them. I sent it out the next day, Friday. I received the pistol from Sig the following Thursday with a polished feed ramp, new slide catch and two new mags.

Have had little to no issues since. It does like to run more wet than my other pistols. So long as it's well lubed, no failures.
bosstones1154.00
      02-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #1242
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Anyone had any good results from the CZ lineup?

Not that I can get one, but as far as non 1911's, that is pretty much the only one I would consider - I just find the grip to be natural for me and I'm reasonably accurate with them from the ones I've shot.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #1243
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:

Not that I can get one, but as far as non 1911's, that is pretty much the only one I would consider - I just find the grip to be natural for me and I'm reasonably accurate with them from the ones I've shot.
I love CZs, I have an SP01, and a TS, I have taken a couple of new shooters to the range with my SP01, a Glock 34 (with a comp trigger), and Sig 226, everyone (myself included) preferred the CZ without any price consideration.

If they were the same price I would pick the SP01 hands down over a Sig 226 (for those who don't know, the CZ is quite a bit less expensive then the Sig)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #1244
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
I'm glad you ditched that garbage caliber. 9mm and 45 are my favorite. I have no desire to own anything else.
I got to shoot a Delta Elite 10mm on a visit to Florida back in 1989, IIRC, Colt had not long brought them out at the time.
Wasn't as nice to shoot as a .45 though, but it was very new at the time, would have been nice to have had another go after it had a good few hundred rounds more run through it.

Always wanted to have a go with 1911 in .38 Super, but, not managed that as yet.....their not the easiest of things to find in your average range rentals inventory
      02-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #1245
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

As KennyB said above... I don't know anyone who has owned a CZ that didn't love them. I've personally never shot one. Though my IMI Baby Eagle is very CZ like with regards to the frame. I don't shot that pistol well so i never gravitated to CZ.

It's crazy how that happens. Someone touched on it earlier in this thread. Took my wife to the range for the first time a while back. Gave her the G19 to shoot. Didn't do that well. Figured i'd make it easier for her and gave her the Sig 1911. She was barely on the damn target with that. Gave her the Baby Eagle and she's 5" groups all day long. So that's technically "her" Baby Eagle. lol

Convince your wife you need to move the family to the US. Then tell her it's mandatory to own at least 10 pistols and 10 long guns. Tell her to

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 02-24-2017 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #1246
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

I figured out how to get a blur bubble. (Not a peep bimmette !)
Don't try this at home without making 100% sure the magazine is ejected and no rounds are in the chamber.

So here you can see real time charging mid draw and drawing with one in the pipe (simulated). The time difference is real, but subtle. However, the mechanics of chambering mid draw are somewhat screwy, forcing me to bring it up into a sight picture rather than getting a sight picture and pushing forward into it.

No doubt i'm more accurate drawing with one already in the pipe. Faster to boot.

Sorry again for the vertical.

I was appendix carrying today. I think i'm a touch faster drawing from that position. But we're likely talking hundredths of a second. lol
      02-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #1247
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e90 m3

I recently switched to appendix. I find my draw much faster and it is easier to conceal. I would occasionally fumble my draw at the range from 3 to 4 o'clock position. It is a more versatile position.
Unfortunately it is pointed at your junk and femoral so you need to be 100 percent paying g attention when reholstering.
I recommend a hammer fired gun, or a "gadget" if you carry Glock. I love being able to thumb a hammer when reholstering or deactivating my Glock trigger.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #1248
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
I got to shoot a Delta Elite 10mm on a visit to Florida back in 1989, IIRC, Colt had not long brought them out at the time.
Wasn't as nice to shoot as a .45 though, but it was very new at the time, would have been nice to have had another go after it had a good few hundred rounds more run through it.

Always wanted to have a go with 1911 in .38 Super, but, not managed that as yet.....their not the easiest of things to find in your average range rentals inventory
I don't think I've ever heard of that. Lol

The nice thing about the 1911s is the fact that they are smooth shooters. I never have the feeling that it's way too big of a caliber.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #1249
mookie45
Major
Rep

Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMORGSM5 View Post
I'm looking into buying one of these. Found a new one at a pretty good price. figured i would go with a 45 over 9mm.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/custom-ii-two-tone-a
Quote:
I want my next 1911 to be blacked out. Love the look.

My current Kimber is a two tone. I really liked it when I first bought it but now I'm kind of over it. Would rather it be one solid color.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/master-carry-ultra
I went with this - love it. Shoots better than I can...least I'm pretty certain it is operator error on my part. I'm nowhere near my American counterparts in accuracy, but unlike Moddie, I can hit the broad side of a barn. The reason for that is because unlike him, I won't be aiming for it. Anything I'm aiming for is totally safe from harm.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/stainless-raptor-ii-45acp
The Raptor II is my favorite.
      02-25-2017, 03:53 AM   #1250
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: ZL1, Raptor

i stopped by the gun store on my way home from work, they had a CZ P01, i haven't seen one on a shelf for a year. I guess they got two yesterday, needless to say, i got the last one...well, this is ca, so i'll get it in 10 days...you know, because if i was going to commit a crime i would buy a new gun and wait 10 days instead of using the gun that i was (legally) carrying on my hip when i made the purchase
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 05:46 AM   #1251
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
i stopped by the gun store on my way home from work, they had a CZ P01, i haven't seen one on a shelf for a year. I guess they got two yesterday, needless to say, i got the last one...well, this is ca, so i'll get it in 10 days...you know, because if i was going to commit a crime i would buy a new gun and wait 10 days instead of using the gun that i was (legally) carrying on my hip when i made the purchase
You must be royalty or something to have a ccp in Cali.

Seriously though, you still have to wait when you have a ccp?

Oh yeah, nice pick up! Er... future pick up I guess. :
      02-25-2017, 05:56 AM   #1252
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
I figured out how to get a blur bubble. (Not a peep bimmette !)
Don't try this at home without making 100% sure the magazine is ejected and no rounds are in the chamber.

So here you can see real time charging mid draw and drawing with one in the pipe (simulated). The time difference is real, but subtle. However, the mechanics of chambering mid draw are somewhat screwy, forcing me to bring it up into a sight picture rather than getting a sight picture and pushing forward into it.

No doubt i'm more accurate drawing with one already in the pipe. Faster to boot.

Sorry again for the vertical.

I was appendix carrying today. I think i'm a touch faster drawing from that position. But we're likely talking hundredths of a second. lol
Awesome Sir !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #1253
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep

Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
My bedside pistol is a HK P30 loaded up with 9mm Federal HST.
Springfield has a promotion going on so I'm planning on picking up an XDs for carrying. Since NJ doesn't allow hollow-point bullets on the street the XDs will be chambered in 45ACP.
Attached Images

02-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #1254
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Drives: All of them

Garage List
I went fishing one weekend and they all fell in the lake ;-)
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka6058.00
upstatedoc7555.50