New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

09-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
BdonS
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW e39

Exclamation 1997 BMW 523i Losing Power Problem

Good Day.

I have been going through this problem for months now. Ran multiple diagnostics check and still haven't found the problem, which brings me here.

Problem: While driving, for maybe about 2 hours or so (While using the Air Conditioner), the car begins to struggle or lose power (pressing the gas pedal and nothing happens) until it can go no more and shuts off. If I turn off the AC and let the car rest for maybe 5 minutes, I can start it again like nothing is wrong with it and go a couple more miles until it starts to lose power again.

I have noticed that if I drove the same distance without the AC, the car operates flawlessly which makes me assume it has something to do with the AC. It is like something gets too hot and needs to be cooled down or rested before i can get going again. I think climbing hills triggers the problem more.

Also noticed if the problem arises and I parked the vehicle for maybe an hour, the car is as good as new after that hours' rest.

Car is not overheating so I do not know what to do.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0