New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #45
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harambe
I couldn't live with a phone that has a fingerprint scanner in such an absurd location. Literally have to jimmy around the phone just to scan your finger. Not to mention not being centered is a huge turnoff for a lefty like me.
The finger print scanner is like the 3rd option for unlocking, facial recog and iris scanner are thr two main ways. They are a lot quicker. All you have to do is just pick up ur phone and look at it without touching anything. Finger print is old news on the S8.
      03-31-2017, 03:02 PM   #46
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal f80 View Post
strange .. my s6 is turning 2 years old almost to the date and have had zero issues . the only problem now is my battery life isn't so great . use to put my phone in my locker [no phone allowed at desks] at work with minimal service and at the end of work battery would be in the 60% range now its in the 30s . of course this is me also checking my phone every so often throughout the day .
I owned a samsung back in the day and had to remove the removable battery to reboot it due to frequent crashes. I couldn't figure out how apple could make a phone without a removable battery. This is because their phones never crash! I also think it's hilarious how samsung ends up copying apples naming convention instead of calling it the Note 8 or something rather than s8+. Didn't they invent the phablet yet it's amazing how things come around as apple was first with 64 bit and optical zoom dual lens cameras. Now samsung is pushing screen size again, we shall see what apple does with the iphone 8. I just know apple stock is up now and my pockets are fatter as a result, s8 be damned!
Ive owned every iphone generation up to the 6 and they have alll crashed. The 5S and 6 being the worst.. my 6 was very annoying which is why I decided to switch. my S7 edge has been running a lot better, no real issues. New update has made it even better, especially with the "device maintinance" feature. If you notice any lag, just go in and fix it instantly.
      03-31-2017, 03:30 PM   #47
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 335i

I have had s4 all the way to s7edge now and I have never had a problem with any of them crashing or having h/w issues, and I've even had multiple replacements of the same phone model(from me breaking/damaging them not phone issues). Maybe I have super good luck or you guys have just had some bad luck with Samsungs.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:34 PM   #48
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
My S7 egde has been running better than the iPhone 6 I had. Its works smoother and is faster.

Dont really care for customization, havent done any of that. Being able to download music off google directly into my phone, download rar files and unzip them from the phone, download torrents, convert music files (flac to wav) etc is what I do the most. I get new music daily so its a big thing for me. I see my friends with iPhones shazaming music to go home and download, get it into itunes, plug their phone in, sync.. ahh memories.

And lets not forget about the camera and screen, I still get amazed at how damn black the blacks are. I take a lot of pictures and even the iPhone 7 camera cant come close (except for zoom). The day one of my friends got his 7, he tried all day to get a better picture than me.. he looked extremely sad lol.

So for me, the things I use the most.. the S7 Edge does far better and more efficiently.
Was that the phone with the exploding battery? Yes I like the optical zoom on the 7+. Waiting for the 8 which is copying the curved screen and small footprint admittedly, but will be running IOS versus a previous version of android with a layer on top and Bixby in addition to google's voice assistant.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:37 PM   #49
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Was that the phone with the exploding battery? Yes I like the optical zoom on the 7+. Waiting for the 8 which is copying the curved screen and small footprint admittedly, but will be running IOS versus a previous version of android with a layer on top and Bixby in addition to google's voice assistant.
No the phone with the exploding battery was the Note (7?) I believe.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #50
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I owned a samsung back in the day and had to remove the removable battery to reboot it due to frequent crashes. I couldn't figure out how apple could make a phone without a removable battery. This is because their phones never crash! I also think it's hilarious how samsung ends up copying apples naming convention instead of calling it the Note 8 or something rather than s8+. Didn't they invent the phablet yet it's amazing how things come around as apple was first with 64 bit and optical zoom dual lens cameras. Now samsung is pushing screen size again, we shall see what apple does with the iphone 8. I just know apple stock is up now and my pockets are fatter as a result, s8 be damned!
Copying just the naming conventions? They copied design, features, color etc. HTC was the first phablet. They had large screen smartphones way before Samsung. Yet Samsung gets credit for it. Then again no other company spends more money on marketing than Samsung. Samsung's marketing budget is probably big enough to buy HTC.
      03-31-2017, 09:27 PM   #51
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Drives: ///M

Wait for the Eight !

Advance edit delete lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Duplicate post lol
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #52
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

How anyone uses Apple anything is beyond me, i feel like hurtling it through a window as soon as i start using it. It's so insanely restrictive it's infuriating. Tried ripping some CD's to an ipad and nearly shot myself in rage, took me all of 4 minutes to copy and paste the files from the CD to my blackberry instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #53
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3CX

Anyone know how this new search feature is supposed to work? You just take a picture of something and it will Google it for you?

I'm intrigued by this? I find myself too many times not finding the proper words I need to use to search for something. Old age + writers block is a mutha...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #54
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
Copying just the naming conventions? They copied design, features, color etc. HTC was the first phablet. They had large screen smartphones way before Samsung. Yet Samsung gets credit for it. Then again no other company spends more money on marketing than Samsung. Samsung's marketing budget is probably big enough to buy HTC.
Can't fault Samsung just because Apple invented color.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #55
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
The finger print scanner is like the 3rd option for unlocking, facial recog and iris scanner are thr two main ways. They are a lot quicker. All you have to do is just pick up ur phone and look at it without touching anything. Finger print is old news on the S8.
Iris scanner is way slower than touch id on the 6s/7.

It's pretty clear they wanted to put the scanner in the screen with the home button, then had to move it to the back because it didn't work well enough. An afterthought.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #56
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harambe
Quote:
Iris scanner is way slower than touch id on the 6s/7.

It's pretty clear they wanted to put the scanner in the screen with the home button, then had to move it to the back because it didn't work well enough. An afterthought.
Oh, you have the s8 already?

The face recognition is crazy fast.
      04-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #57
TO 335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: EB 335xi

I got to play around with the S8+ THAT SCREEN IS GORGEOUS! phone does not feel big fits perfect in your hand for a 6.2 screen. I was able to use the Iris scanner very quick to unlock the phone will use that as my primary over the fingerprint scanner which is not easy to get to in the back. Camera was good liked you can double tab the power button to go straight to camera also nice upgrade on the front camera for the selfie lovers My main complaint is the price here in Canada $1115 you kidding me got my iphone7 for 900$
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #58
frcefed579
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F90--15 R1 Yamaha Blue

^^ Agreed it is pricey, but to be fair you'd have to compare the 7+ to the 8+.
Then the price difference is only $66.. and the 7+ would only be a 32g.

I played with the S8+ also and ended up ordering it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #59
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frcefed579 View Post
^^ Agreed it is pricey, but to be fair you'd have to compare the 7+ to the 8+.
Then the price difference is only $66.. and the 7+ would only be a 32g.

I played with the S8+ also and ended up ordering it.
From what I can gather, the S8+ is the same size as the S7 Edge but it is just a tad wider than the S7 Edge.

I'm still thinking if I should go through with the change. I'm pretty sure I will be moving into a iPhone 8 (my personal phone) but I don't know if I should bother changing my work phone which is the S7 Edge.
      04-04-2017, 12:20 AM   #60
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO 335
I got to play around with the S8+ THAT SCREEN IS GORGEOUS! phone does not feel big fits perfect in your hand for a 6.2 screen. I was able to use the Iris scanner very quick to unlock the phone will use that as my primary over the fingerprint scanner which is not easy to get to in the back. Camera was good liked you can double tab the power button to go straight to camera also nice upgrade on the front camera for the selfie lovers My main complaint is the price here in Canada $1115 you kidding me got my iphone7 for 900$
Double tapping the home button for the camera is on the S7 also and I agree, by far my favorite way to get to the camera.. especially since you can do it from any screen/app.

I decided to hold off for the Note 8.. Dual camera, 4k 6.4" screen, finger print scanner intergrated into the screen, 6gb ram, smaller bessels, etc.
      04-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #61
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Double tapping the home button for the camera is on the S7 also and I agree, by far my favorite way to get to the camera.. especially since you can do it from any screen/app.

I decided to hold off for the Note 8.. Dual camera, 4k 6.4" screen, finger print scanner intergrated into the screen, 6gb ram, smaller bessels, etc.
This.

Even though I rarely use the stylus, the Note is usually the better phone all around, especially hardware wise. I'm definitely going to wait and see what they have in store before I decide either way.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #62
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

First real life picture of the Note 8!?!?!?

Looks pretty damn good IMO.

http://bgr.com/2017/04/10/galaxy-not...rs-image-leak/
Appreciate 1
GabeS1180.00
      04-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #63
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

My wife has had the S7 since it's release. It has worked flawlessly! I have pre-ordered the S8 for her.
Meanwhile... I am a huge LG fan and loving my brand spanking new G6.
ANDROID FTW!!!
Appreciate 2
mirob3005.00
      04-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #64
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
My wife has had the S7 since it's release. It has worked flawlessly! I have pre-ordered the S8 for her.
Meanwhile... I am a huge LG fan and loving my brand spanking new G6.
ANDROID FTW!!!
You need to let us know how you like the G6 vs. the S8!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #65
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
You need to let us know how you like the G6 vs. the S8!
Definitely. I can tell you the G6 is light years better than my G5 which I liked. But... The S8 is shaping up to be something very special according to reviews.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #66
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Not to hijack, but the fingerprint scanner for my G5 and now G6 which are both located on the back, work flawlessly and very quickly! So that's not even a issue worth mentioning.
Technically, it works faster in real world situations: The moment I pick up my phone and place my finger on the scanner in one motion, it is unlocked by the time it reaches my line of sight for a retina scanner.
The eye scanner is a bonus IMO.
Appreciate 0