New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

Porsche Experience Center Atlanta - Master the Manual

Hey All,

Last weekend I took a trip to the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. My girlfriend purchased tickets for me to attend the "Master the Manual" course. This gave me the opportunity to drive the 991.2 Carrera S and the Cayman GT4. I primarily wanted to do this course to test out the GT4. I have very little experience with Porsche (a few test drives in Caymans), and none with the 911, so getting the opportunity to do both seemed like the best choice.

It was really cool getting a chance to compare the rear vs. mid engine back to back. The 911 is without question faster and the way it rotates is insane. There was a section of hard right to left turn and it felt like my body went numb. The instructor described this as something equilibrium, not sure exactly. All I know is it felt wild! The GT4 felt more flat, and certainly being a GT car, was more track ready. It had bucket seats, stiffer clutch, carbon ceramics, etc. Even having no previous track experience, I could tell it was more suited for this type of driving. Overall, I liked the GT4 better on the track. However, I left with much more appreciation for the 911. As much as I liked the GT4, I think daily driving it would get exhausting. It was great on the track, but I'd take the 911 for the other 99% of driving I would do.

WHAT AN AWESOME EXPERIENCE!! This was truly one of the coolest things I have ever done. The facility and instructors were top notch. It was also great how they worked hard to engage the guests as well (allowed them to walk down closer to the track and taking them on hot laps at the end). I got a chance to see what these cars were truly capable of. I learned so much to make me a better driver, found a new appreciation for Porsche, and overall had a fantastic time!

Feel free to reach out with any specific questions on the facility or courses.

A few pics:

BMW CCA Member -- NCC Chapter
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Not being a dick, is that how close they told you to sit to the wheel? I'm not sure how you were able to shift to second being that close.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Not being a dick, is that how close they told you to sit to the wheel? I'm not sure how you were able to shift to second being that close.
Haha, maybe it was the angle of the picture, but it didn't feel too close. I was able to shift fine, though.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Drives: GT4

This is on my short list of adventures. I'm planning to do this in late May early June in LA. I've invited my son to tag along so he'll get some proper Pcar time. How much classroom time did you have?..........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
This is on my short list of adventures. I'm planning to do this in late May early June in LA. I've invited my son to tag along so he'll get some proper Pcar time. How much classroom time did you have?..........Phil
Hey Phil, sounds like you might be thinking of the driving center in Birmingham. I did one of the 1.5 hour sessions where you just jump in and drive while taking on a few of the different courses there. No classroom time. To my knowledge, this is all that is offered at the experience centers in Atlanta and LA. Whichever you choose, it's a blast and hope you and your son have a great time.

Jon
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31 View Post
Hey Phil, sounds like you might be thinking of the driving center in Birmingham. I did one of the 1.5 hour sessions where you just jump in and drive while taking on a few of the different courses there. No classroom time. To my knowledge, this is all that is offered at the experience centers in Atlanta and LA. Whichever you choose, it's a blast and hope you and your son have a great time.

Jon
Thanks for the reply Jon. I thought these experiences also had a little classroom time. Glad to know we'll get the full 90 minutes of driving .........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: rwd

Did you have to leave the GT4 in Sport mode so it auto rev matched or did they at least allow you to do your own rev matching and heel and toeing?

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Did you have to leave the GT4 in Sport mode so it auto rev matched or did they at least allow you to do your own rev matching and heel and toeing?
I forgot about this feature and was happily surprised on my first downshift. To be honest, I was trying to focus on so many other things that I was happy this feature existed. I have no doubt that the instructor would have allowed me to drive the car in whatever configuration I wanted. It was very clear that as long as you showed mutual respect, he was there to ensure you get the full experience, whatever that may be for you.

Appreciate 1
to_riffic3010.00
      04-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Thanks for the reply Jon. I thought these experiences also had a little classroom time. Glad to know we'll get the full 90 minutes of driving .........Phil
When I went to PSDS in AL, there was almost no classroom time. An initial 30 min. general instruction\discussion and then off to the track.

Quote:
Yes, that's driving position.
Appreciate 0