New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

01-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

2017 NASCAR thread - Final Nail in Coffin?

I used to be a fan of NASCAR. I had clients in Charlotte and we would go to races and it was fun.

To watch NASCAR deteriorate over the years has been tough. This past season I never went to a race and only watched a handful with a "fast forward and look for smoke" strategy as to not waste time.

2017 brings new rule changes that may kill NASCAR once and for all. I couldn't explain it if I tried, so here's a link.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...announced.html

I'm pretty sure there is not much love for NASCAR on this forum so I don't expect a lot reaction.

Turn left!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3 CS

I see this thread is a few months old but I couldn't agree more... I find myself still wondering how the championship standings are scored.

I used to enjoy the races for what they were: Motorsport. Now it has become something quite far removed from its roots and it's painful to even think about, let alone watch.

I've always thought that a shorter race with less caution flags could make for something enjoyable. Perhaps take some notes from F1 and build cars that have to go the distance on fuel? Obviously tough for an NA V8... but at some point, something has to give.
      08-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
StoneColdCivic
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 3 Series

I have been following NASCAR for 20 years and recently dropped my season tickets to Dover. I find the quality has gone down. The new aero packages they have it makes it impossible for drivers to pass each other. I would like to see more competitive racing.

Also the new points system is a disgrace, it is hard to understand. They need to figure something out. Maybe a knockout format in each race. That would again spike my interest.

It's sad that Dale is no longer racing after this year. After 20 years it just won't be the same. I would love to hear more NASCAR comments. Plz feel free to chime in.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #4
wntrsnowg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M235i

I've never really understood NASCAR but it sounds like these new rules make it less interesting for viewers. Maybe some non-oval track type racing could now become more popular in the states?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

They keep tinkering and changing the rules on the fly. Then there's more tinkering to fix the old tinkering. There's a lot of arrogance from Mr. France that he and he alone can fix nascar. But, the only way the excitement comes back is if there's a major reset to get back to the roots. Sadly, it seems like we're in for a lot more gimmicks before then.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
StoneColdCivic
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 3 Series

I'm watching Watkins Glen and besides the 7 commercial breaks in the first 30 min and the 20 min intro, there is no excitement at all.

What is everyone's favorite track?
Appreciate 0