New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #45
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
Be prepared to be disappointed. LA is mostly aweful. Homeless and tent cities everywhere. Traffic everywhere.

There are plenty of nice places but you are going to be shocked what 90% of LA looks like.
The pedestal is brittle with age.

The problem with LA is how utterly huge, spread out, and crowded it is. Unfortunately that means that the population is a microcosm of the socio-economic diversity of our country. That means there are more poor people than wealthy, and both ends of the extreme spectrum are ever present on a county scale. While it's easy to criticize the state of affairs to the people or the government or the politics, realize that the the same criticism should be made of the entire country, where the gap between the classes are even more separated, both socio-economically and physically. Our neighboring cities here in California might categorize LA's problems collectively shared by both Bel Air and Inglewood for example, yet on the federal level the responsibility is shared by both San Francisco and Los Angeles with in the state of California, and on yet a bigger global scale: California's problems are shared with Texas under the flag of the USA. Hence in the realm of international politics, it is not California or New York responsible for the foreign policy of the US, but US itself.
And yet on a bigger scale, while we are accustomed to see US problems separated from China's problems: one day we will see how small minded we once were when we didn't realize that the US problems are also China's problems: It is a global problem separated by imaginary lines on a piece of paper. Imaginary lines keep us isolated and divided and those lines create the luxury of a dismissal of accountability. We are all connected: if one country can profit off the cheap labor off another then that responsibility is carried beyond borders.

Then there is geographic distribution of supply and resources: Keep in mind where Houston's income comes from: energy. Who's buying it? Economics 101: the consumer-supplier reliance is a two way street. Your profit depends on the existence and needs of others. So not only is your success built upon the relationship you have with others, but on the complications of economic diversity itself. Their need creates opportunity and exploitation both fair and unfair. Thus Bel Air and Inglewood's are linked, LA's and Houston are linked. California's and the US's are linked and the US's and China's are linked. We're all on the same rock.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82

Last edited by jmg; 06-21-2018 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 3
Soul_Glo13282.50
      06-21-2018, 10:28 PM   #46
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: G20

Well how did it go OP?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #47
WestRace
Major
Rep

Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
The pedestal is brittle with age.

The problem with LA is how utterly huge, spread out, and crowded it is. Unfortunately that means that the population is a microcosm of the socio-economic diversity of our country. That means there are more poor people than wealthy, and both ends of the extreme spectrum are ever present on a county scale. While it's easy to criticize the state of affairs to the people or the government or the politics, realize that the the same criticism should be made of the entire country, where the gap between the classes are even more separated, both socio-economically and physically. Our neighboring cities here in California might categorize LA's problems collectively shared by both Bel Air and Inglewood for example, yet on the federal level the responsibility is shared by both San Francisco and Los Angeles with in the state of California, and on yet a bigger global scale: California's problems are shared with Texas under the flag of the USA. Hence in the realm of international politics, it is not California or New York responsible for the foreign policy of the US, but US itself.
And yet on a bigger scale, while we are accustomed to see US problems separated from China's problems: one day we will see how small minded we once were when we didn't realize that the US problems are also China's problems: It is a global problem separated by imaginary lines on a piece of paper. Imaginary lines keep us isolated and divided and those lines create the luxury of a dismissal of accountability. We are all connected: if one country can profit off the cheap labor off another then that responsibility is carried beyond borders.

Then there is geographic distribution of supply and resources: Keep in mind where Houston's income comes from: energy. Who's buying it? Economics 101: the consumer-supplier reliance is a two way street. Your profit depends on the existence and needs of others. So not only is your success built upon the relationship you have with others, but on the complications of economic diversity itself. Their need creates opportunity and exploitation both fair and unfair. Thus Bel Air and Inglewood's are linked, LA's and Houston are linked. California's and the US's are linked and the US's and China's are linked. We're all on the same rock.
That's like the best bs I've read. You made it sounds so wonderful and innocent.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      06-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #48
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Anyone knows a good, safe and not too expensive stay around Santa Monica, our B&B partner had cancelled the booking and now we're back on search. All tips highly welcome, parking space is nice to have but no must.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 06:00 AM   #49
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
All of the above except consider this:
  • Huntington Park and the 105 strip in general (almost all cities along the 105 freeway) is a bit ghetto, so watch your 6.
  • The heart of the beast that is LA will be a cesspool of deranged homeless people and a shantytown of tents. For both HP above and LA proper, avoid getting out of your car unless absolutely necessary, and try not to go off the beaten path after sunset... I've had to call 911 on a Friday night after someone got in a hit-and-run and it took 20 minutes on hold (YES, WITH 911!) and an hour for them to send a cop to take a report.

Oh, and it'll take you half an hour to go 3 miles and the roads are littered with potholes if you're driving, and lots of Uber/Lyft drivers will dread high-traffic areas and reject your ride, so be prepared to call ahead and offer a big cash tip (most drivers hate hearing "I'll tip you in the app" since everyone that says it does the exact opposite).
  • Hollywood is a tourist trap; the main attractions are on one over-crowded city block, the rest of the street are overpriced tchotchkes. The only parking I trust and has the fairest price is in the Hollywood & Highland Center, and the rest will try to extort you whichever way they can (including one where I was told I can park overnight, but the rate of $10 per day meant the clock reset at midnight so I had to pay $20). Trust me, I was a club promoter and bouncer in my youth.

Most of the food you'll get is garbage (especially the pizzeria across from the Kodak Theatre). Come with a full stomach.

Furthermore, most of the people in shitty costumes are actually homeless but trying to make a living off tips (that they do try to pester you to pay more for); I've smoked weed with "Superman" at 3 AM who did 'fess up to this

NEVER buy the demo CDs no matter how "FIRE" the piker claims for it to be. They're often just blank CD-R's.
  • Ice Cube said it best. Wish he made a music video for it (unless I just can't find it).
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #50
Hammer Werke
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 328d Touring

Enjoy your stay. Don't worry about people telling you that it is too dangerous to get out of your ca in LA. Lol if you live in Texas do not be giving advice on traveling to LA. Ive been here 15 years and have never really had any "uh oh this is unsafe" moments. Including all night warehouse parties on skid row. Yes, there are lots of homeless downtown and surrounding areas. Most of them just mind their business. Some are mentally unstable. Mind you own business and all will be fine. It is a sad situation though.

Here's a few more spots in Downtown:

Hot Beef Dip Sandwiches. Two of the oldest establishments in DTLA both claim they invented the french dip sandwich. Philippe's seems to be somewhat more credited with being the first. But they are both completely amazing.

Philippe's. (Chinatown) -
Usually huge lines around lunch time. Get your sandwich double dipped.
Awesome home made horseradish mustard.

Coles. Right in the heart of downtown. 6th St.
Very old basement restaurant with amazing sandwiches.
In the very back is a hidden Speakeasy bar called The Varnish. Incredible cocktails and ambiance. Sometimes piano players etc.

The art's district downtown is a cool area.
-Wurstkuche - Awesome home made deluxe sausages and german beers on tap. Nice afternoon beer spot.
-Pie Hole....great pies.
-Golden Road Brewery. Good beer and they do brewery tours.
Hauser & Wirth Gallery. Beautiful new gallery and event space. Cool new restaurant inside.

I highly reccomend watching the documentary City Of Gold. It's about LA's premier food critic; Jonathon Gold and his love for LA and it's food. It's on Netflix....check it out. Any of his recomendations are always on point. He won't review a place unless he's eaten there like 10 times and had the whole menu.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #51
FCobra94
Rep
n/a

Drives:

So, what you end up doin OP?

Interested in getting your thoughts...I've been to LA a couple times and it seems like you can see most everything there is to see in a day or two. I'd much rather spend the majority of the time in Orange County.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      07-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #52
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep

Drives: 650i (F12)

Go to airport and leave! ha

LA is not my pint of gin.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #53
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

If you can get in, take the Dodgers stadium tour. It was by far the most interesting MLB stadium I've been too.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #54
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I would avoid LA right now as the LeFlop James bandwagon is simply insufferable.

F*k him and his fans.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #55
NoMoreAudi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: F86

Garage List
2019 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPe90M3 View Post
Leaving today for LA. Never been to the west coast. Anyone have any good recommendations (eat, bars, attractions, etc)? Thanks.
DM me and I can give you a real guide depending on your budget, what you want to do, how much time you have, who you're bringing, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #56
FCobra94
Rep
n/a

Drives:

His trip was a month ago.
Appreciate 1
WickedE93224.00