New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

04-18-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
530dE39
Poland
Rep

Drives: 530d E39 12-2002

Garage List
2017 BMW x5  [0.00]
Homelink / Garage door remote install

Hi,

I got an original Homelink (garage door openener). My friend said it would be 30min work to install it. I opened the lids etc, all no problem, but according to him all E39s should be pre-wired to connect this. I have been searching, but I cannot find something that seems to go there. I have a cable to the microphone of the carkit, sunroof button, cable going to the self-dimming mirror, but can't find the cable for the remote.

I have a 2003 model E39 (production date end of december 2002). Is it possible it doesn't have the wire by default? It's horrible to see if something is laying in there. (small opening). I have been feeling around a bit on driver's side, but no luck. On passenger side I cannot even reach in that much because the sunroof module is blocking me as well my view as well possibility to reach in.

Can somebody maybe tell me if all E39's are pre-wired? If so, how can I remove or at least loosen the sunroof module so that I can fetch that wire?

I'd appreciate all kind of help I found some old manual in web-archives (because the normal site doesn't have the article anymore) from BMWNation and there this guy says:

"STEP 8
Return to the vehicle and locate the power cables for the UT. (This is the hard part) The cable will have a white connector with brown and black power wires. The cable may be located deep inside the opening, above the passenger visor. DO NOT try to make the black connector fit the UT by filing down the unyielding tab! (Long story...) You may have to really reach in to find the appropriate cable which may be covered by black felt tape."

http://web.archive.org/web/200512311...wut/bmwut.html

Well... long story short, I'd like to reach in, but I have currently the space for 1 finger to get in there...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 530dE39; 04-18-2011 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: Added link to bmw-nation article.
Appreciate 0