New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

01-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
E39M52B28
Rep

Drives: White, E39 '98 528i

Car shuddering. tranny problem?

My car was sitting at idle waiting for the light and just a huge shudder, that happened about the three times, happened. The problem was there maybe three months ago but was less extreme. I also recently got an engine put in, but im afraid i migt have to rebuild the tranny, since its the same one for about 180k miles on the tranny and about 70k miles on the engine. Does this mean tranny rebuild.
Can someone help, thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Slke46
Captain
Rep

Drives: E90 Sedan

Auxiliary belt...

I had exerienced the same thing a couple months back, what happen was that the pulley (forget which one) at the bottom of the front of the engine had cracked. The last one at the bottom side of the driver side. It slowly had gotten worse and finally the crack get bigger and the pulley lifted up and the belt ripped off and had to get it replaced. Easy fix... Take it in as soon as you can to avoid any other damage to your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39M52B28 View Post
My car was sitting at idle waiting for the light and just a huge shudder, that happened about the three times, happened. The problem was there maybe three months ago but was less extreme. I also recently got an engine put in, but im afraid i migt have to rebuild the tranny, since its the same one for about 180k miles on the tranny and about 70k miles on the engine. Does this mean tranny rebuild.
Can someone help, thanks