New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E39) Forums (1995 - 2003) > General E39 Discussions

10-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Drives: the ladies crazy

e39 washer issues

i have a 1999 e39 530d banger i keep at a beach house in sicily. i got it for a song with ~350,000km on the clock, and i pretty much consider it disposable. on my drive this morning i noticed that no washer fluid is coming out for the windshield, but IS coming out for the headlight washers. i opened the hood and was surprised to find that since i was last here in the summer, some kind of small rodentia must have moved into the engine compartment and ate a large portion of the "intensive" washer fluid tank. yes... ate the tank. the normal tank seems not to be leaking, and is full.

can i simply delete the "intensive" tank entirely? the pump in the now eaten intensive tank appears to still be responsive, and is the same part number as the wash pump used for supplying the windshield from the primary tank in the wheelwell... is there any reason i couldn't replace the (i suspect) failed windshield pump with the (i suspect) functional pump from the intensive tank?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

Drives: the ladies crazy

wow, not a lot of activity on this forum! is there anywhere else i could ask? i'm hoping for a vote of confidence before i attempt the job, since it'll cost me some valuable beach time.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
GuamX1
First Lieutenant
Guam
Rep

Drives: 08 BMW 135i, 08 128 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtailpipes View Post
i have a 1999 e39 530d banger i keep at a beach house in sicily. i got it for a song with ~350,000km on the clock, and i pretty much consider it disposable. on my drive this morning i noticed that no washer fluid is coming out for the windshield, but IS coming out for the headlight washers. i opened the hood and was surprised to find that since i was last here in the summer, some kind of small rodentia must have moved into the engine compartment and ate a large portion of the "intensive" washer fluid tank. yes... ate the tank. the normal tank seems not to be leaking, and is full.

can i simply delete the "intensive" tank entirely? the pump in the now eaten intensive tank appears to still be responsive, and is the same part number as the wash pump used for supplying the windshield from the primary tank in the wheelwell... is there any reason i couldn't replace the (i suspect) failed windshield pump with the (i suspect) functional pump from the intensive tank?
I think you can it is independent of the regular washer system.

2013 BMW X1 * 1973 Clubman GT * 2016 Mazda MX5 * 2000 Honda S2000
2004 BMW 325i Touring * 2009 BMW X5 3.0xdrive
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
Paul Ho
Rep

Drives: F10 M5, E39 M5

If the setup is the same as on my 2000 M5, there are parallel hoses that go to the nozzles on the hood. You will have to either plug the hoses that go from the intensive pump or replace the nozzles with ones from a car without the intensive cleaning system.
Appreciate 0