Canada
Rep

Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoseph270 View Post
The E28 M5 is a good example, although maybe not a direct comparison since it was considerably more rare to begin with...it's almost tripled in value from what I got mine for just 4 years ago.
...and don't forget that like many opinions expressed now, many "experts" would proudly argue just a few short years ago how the E28 M5 would never truly explode in value and become a collector car like the E30 M3 since it was a "sedan". Of course this type of widely held belief is exactly what allows a car like the E28 to explode in value as the masses are caught once again looking at the past and projecting it into the future with all sorts of biases and justifications.

Speaking of throttle response, I too love the S62 and S65 V8s with their individual throttle bodies and the small mass (volume) between the throttle plate and intake valve. These two engines are fantastic experiences, and I drive them all the time.

However, nothing beats my throttle response standard bearer which was the built up M30 engine in my '72 E3 Bavaria -- with triple sidedraft 45DCOE Webers, which had isolated intakes for each of the six throttle bodies, with each throttle plate very close to its intake valve. Couple that with a pure mechanical linkage to your throttle foot *plus* a huge blast from individual accelerator pumps with an aggressive throttle opening -- damn it was sweet. Waste of fuel? No doubt compared to a modern engine. Emissions? Don't even go there, who knows how bad it was. Powerfu, fun and sounds awesome? Damn right.
I often hear people cite that the S65 is really lacking in low end torque and doesn't hit its stride until high up in the rev range. The question I have is how does that compare to the S54? Better or worse in that regard? I find there is lots of usable low end torque in the S54 motor. Of course I have it in a Z4 M Roadster so whatever torque it has doesn't have to move as much weight around as say an E92 Coupe.