United_States
Rep

Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Pedal Steve View Post
When Consumer Reports and Car & Driver both agree- something unique is going on.

We drove our 2000 model year for 10 years and 324,000 miles. Sure it had lots of maintenance costs but we really got our money's worth. It was two years old when we bought it from the original owner who needed a mini-van due to new twin babies.

In 1999 Consumer Report declared the e39 as the best car they had ever tested.

In 2000 the Brain Injury Institute of the AMA declared it the Safety Car of the Millennium.

Car and Driver, R&T, Autoweek, MT, and the others repeatedly tested the e39 against its competitors and ranked it on top.

I know it is a tall claim that it is the best of the 20th century. What about the Ferrari GTO, or the McLaren F1? For seven years BMW built 1000 e39 cars a day. While exotics are certainly great, true greatness is when over a million drivers can enough true driving pleasure.

I can only imagine if we had gotten the M5 version!

I had two E39s years ago and loved them both. Unfortunately they were both AT. I came to the E39 forum today because I was driving my F30 and saw a pristine M5 and started drooling. What a car. Then, i saw a pristine 540i. I think the E39 gods were telling me something. I came here to see what kind of activity is going on on the E39 forum. As you might imagine, it was a hyperactive forum during its day. E39 owners loved their cars. Its nice to see them still on the road looking so good.

All the best to those keeping the E39's on the road.

Cheers!
Agreed. I wish there was more activity on this board for the E39.