10-27-2017, 01:42 AM   #32
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
BMW always goes for the simple and modern look, it's the same reason why people tolerate Tesla interiors despite their crummy materials and build quality. To add to that, Merc interiors went into the gutter during their Chrysler days and Audis only became genuinely nice cars over the past ~13 or so years. BMW interiors use to almost always better than the competition.

With that being said, BMW really sh*t the bed with the new 7-series. Talk about a snooze fest both inside and out! The current 3/4 interior actually took a step back from the E9X generation, with interior quality falling a notch and the dash only looking slightly more modern. GM execs probably found jobs in Munich, given how complacent this company has been in all areas since the E89 Z4 and every subsequent model killed BMW driving dynamics.
Looks is by person on a car to car basis. I don't dislike the Audi look, but it reminds me of Lexus which gives me mixed feelings.

When it comes to BMW driving dynamics, it is definitely not what it used to be as engaging but the world doesn't revolve around car enthusiasts and sadly BMW is driven by sales. I don't mind BMW doing a few compromises here and there but I wish they keep some of the old driving dynamics intact in the I6 3er (or soon to be M340i).

I still prefer BMW interior over what I have seen as of late. Porsche PCM is extremely, not driver friendly. Sometimes it likes to accept iPhones sometimes it doesn't even connect. It isn't laggy but it is just annoying to use. My parents like it because it is simple but you cannot do anything while driving. Ever since the iOS 11 update, PCM doesn't like to allow me to change music through the wheel, which prevents me from doing it at all basically unless I do it through my phone. My parents complain about the number of buttons on a Porsche and all I can explain is, it's Porsche, they like their damn buttons.

Audi Infotainment is good in Virtual Cockpit form, it isn't as great in normal non-Virtual Cockpit as there is a lag. Virtual Cockpit changes the Audi a lot, even in a A3 - RS3. However the A3 - RS3 interior is very bare and it looks weird to me. A4 and above looks good but I won't say it's 100% better than a BMW or Benz. I don't understand why some people believe this as I do not see it this way. Audi w/ Virtual Cockpit is driver friendly, w/o Virtual Cockpit it isn't as driver friendly but it is fine, not as bad as Porsche PCM.

Benz... I have a love hate relationship with Benz interior + infotainment. I like parts of it, I hate other parts of it. C class and below are okay. It isn't as driver friendly (aka BMW iDrive being tilted towards the driver and you can do almost everything while driving and not be super distracted if you are a good driver), but there are parts of Benz I do like.

That being said though, Audi, Benz and Porsche all use close to the same materials. Upper end Benz and Audi does have a step up on BMW because BMW is still pretty basic on the X5, X6, 6er and 7er. Benz and Audi changes their interior on their upper end cars so they are better in that regards. But, C class and below, A4 and below they aren't THAT much better. People exaggerate too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
Resonator Delete is a factory option on the S3. $350. I would consider this stock. The car sounds quite good with this low priced option.

Interior on A3/S3 is indeed a step down from A4/S4, but it is entry level in the Audi line. Compare to CLA Mercedes and 2 Series BMW, in which case it is quite favorable.
Yeah. I realize but again I think I'm just nitpicking the hell out of the S3 in particular because I'm leaning more Benz than Audi.

At the moment though BMW, at least my friends at my dealership, seems to want to put me into another BMW instead but I haven't seen them give me an offer I would actually look into. I'm not getting another 3er unless it is a G20 3 series. It would be a X3 or X5. Hell a 2017 6er GC boat would be fine too if the deal is good enough.