02-29-2024, 07:13 AM   #82
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Are you saying the F80, F87, F90 are Buicks? They are all far more hardcore than any of their predecessors (stiffer and even subframes bolted to chassis). The X3 and X5 got miles better in every single way as well... i could argue the current M340i is the best 3 yet... i cannot defend the 5 and 7 nor any of the EVs but those are becoming more and more niche cars.

I'll take the M340i w its EPS and virtually flawless reliability with the B58, ZF8, stiffest chassis of any 3 ever and an overall better vehicle than the complete honk that was the E46 or E90... worst quality cars ever built w the least reliable N54, N55 ever... along w the utterly subpar interior build quality of the E46 and its subframe issues... i can only think of 2 BMWs from the earlier 2000s that I would want which are the E92 M3 (only because V8)and E46 M3 in Manual (only because light)... you can keep the non mcars lol. I'll take today's cars all day.
I'm saying the F30 drives like a Buick. Everything past the F30 in a 3/4-Series is not available with a manual transmission in the US unless you spend $80K on an M, so they are Buicks as well from my POV. My E90 with the N52 has 423,000 miles on it and is the longest-lasting BMW of the five I've owned since 1988. I had an E30 since new. The E30 is considered one of BMW's most well-built, long-lasting, and most trouble-free models it produced. I say the E90 is better than the E30, but it is very close. I will also say the E86 Z3 with the N52 may be the best BMW ever. Mine has been trouble free for the 97,000 miles out of the 120,000 miles it has on it, I bought it at 23,000 miles when it was 8 years old.

I have three (3) non-M cars, so you are correct, I have kept them.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Hoody0071326.50