View Single Post
      11-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #39
turbo8765
Captain
Rep

Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsas340i View Post
Aside from the argument of pure sales versus tradition and staying true to the core values of the brand (which can go on forever), there's no doubt that BMW is very smart. The economy had its ups and downs in the last 20 years and they have always adjusted to remain very profitable. Many times as the sales leader within the German competition. Car sales have been steadily going up year after year. It's okay if we hit a plateau and sales decrease as long as those percentages and fluctuations are within reason (which they are).

Reality is that the enthusiast base is getting smaller and smaller. We are the minority when it comes to purchasing a car. My dad's generation couldn't wait to get a license, same thing with my generation. The current generation is just not interest in driving. The car was a symbol of independence and freedom. I got my license the day of my birthday, I could not wait to start driving, as I'm sure was the case with many of you. Nowadays, there is a much bigger percentage of young people that couldn't care less about driving. Their new symbol of independence is a smart phone (which most get way before their legal driving age). The world in their hands. Communication, internet, videos, music, etc... Of course most of it is isolated, at least the way I see it. But it's there and it's not going away.

BMW and other manufacturers see this, that's why there is a shift in their product line-up. That's why we see front wheel-drive, that's why we see SUVs, that's why we see less and less models with manual transmissions. There's a reason why the X3 and the X5 keep getting closer to outselling the 3 and 5 Series. Needless to say, women also have a lot more influence on vehicle purchase vs many years ago. I don't have any statistics but I'm positive that the percentage of BMW female buyers has seen an important increase in the last decade.

I love the brand, I'm an enthusiast. That doesn't mean that I agree with everything they do. I read a lot bashing here consistently and I don't understand it. We have choices, if you can afford a BMW, you can afford a Mercedes, an Audi, plus other premium brands available. The truth is, time cannot be turned back. Manufacturers have to do what they have to do to remain profitable in business. Some deviate more than others but ALL of them adjust. Needless to say, this is just my opinion. Some of you might agree, some of you will not.

Cheers!
The problem with your theory is younger people don’t buy premuium cars.

Those of us who couldn’t wait to get our license are still driving, and as a group have more money than ever before.

I’ve owned many bmw’s in the past. I currently own other sports cars. BMW no longer makes a car that interests me. I have zero interest in electrified cars, and for the price of a well optioned M4 I’d rather have a stingray for less money.