Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
From early impressions if you look at the Vision Efficient Dynamics on how it was a select sedan in that it had ample space for four against the more shortened but inherited i8. Well this is carried over as it will be to carry passengers unlike the i8.
There is deliberation especially when it comes to the door apertures for production. A forthcoming concept will illustrate ideas but not necessary the final choice. Also under deliberation is the grille in which it might feature a Vision Next 100 which is shorter in width but longer in length over a grille longer in width than length. The Grille is mainly the character but of the i8 and i3 is not entirely functional.
It's true the more aerodynamic language of the i8 is inherited but there is also overtones of ideas shown from the outline of the Vision Next 100. Make no mistake but they really want to be radical with this car in both exterior and interior similar to the i8's cutting edge persona. It will also bring forth advancements in Autonomous driving. It's what I am involved with just now at one of its "off site" conceptual centres spread across the world.
Keep in mind one of the things that made the Tesla Model S so successful compared to other electric car attempts was that (at least from the outside) it looked like a "normal" sedan. It is also very functional with hatch and storage. Not everyone appreciates the interior design but I do (aside from the material quality) but the simplified touchscreen tech is miles ahead of BMW.

The need for auto manufacturers to label electric cars as the "future" and design Jetson-like cars around this concept is what is holding back some of the adoption of EVs. Electric cars are also very "now" so design something that looks current but fresh with a compelling electric drivetrain and sell a lot of cars. Even the Model 3 - as "boring" as that design may be - combines a proven drivetrain with a neutral design which obviously led to an unprecedented sales response.

In other words... if I were helping run the i-division (dare to dream?), the i8 would be the stunning "supercar", an i6 would look like that rendering (only better), and the i5 would look more like a practical sedan you could drive to the office and to pick up kids at school. More like a current 5-series but with i-branded styling.

Let me know if you need my resume - and do I need to learn German?