Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
My house have a navien tankless unit.

Good things as other have already said, endless hot water, no / low risk of leak, etc.

But for my particular unit sometimes it take a while to run the hot water for it to start heating up (in some extreme cases can take couple of minutes, but most of the time heat water would start coming out in less than 30s). Never quite figured out why there is such a big variance of heatup time. Had couple of plumber took a look they have no good explanation neither.

That brings to my biggest gripe about these heaters - they're complicated machines. Most of the plumber really don't know very deep about them. They can install them, but if something goes wrong with them, in my experience it's hard to find people knowledgeable enough to give good diagnosis on them...
I know mine has a small tank that is suppose to help that and I can hear it run every time I request water. In the morning it takes a bit but I believe most of that is to clear the cold water out of the pipes. Unless you install a recirculating system or smaller electric tankless heaters under sinks that will always be the case. So I don't see any difference tank in that perspective.

Just knowing I have endless hot water overcomes any downsides for me.