Banned
Rep

Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I don't know what it's like elsewhere but bmw has always worked on my modded cars. Thy only raise an eyebrow if I am reporting a problem directly related to something obviously modified. Dealers get paid form BMW to do the work.
Right, the BMW dealers are independent businesses not BMWNA, so of course they'll work on your car. They'd work on a honda if you paid them to.

It's when your car parts fail and the dealer is asking BMW to pay for that failed part and service that it gets tricky ... up to a certain point a "mod friendly" dealer will probably not mention mods, but if your car starts getting into major part failures BMW is going to start asking questions, start asking for data, etc. There's an escalation process.

At that point the dealer can either outright lie and fabricate information, or they can tell BMWNA that you're modded. and it's likely, depending on location, the BMWNA will send out an engineer to review the evidence.

If the dealer lies / lied, then they're breaking their contract with BMWNA, so the dealer probably isn't going to lie for you.

And that's when BMWNA will void your warranty without having to prove shit to anyone.
Again - it's up to the dealer.

I have a friend who had a heavily modified e92 who tracked it extensively and his s65 grenaded - BMW replaced the motor under warranty.

It varies per dealer and per case. As an owner of a modified vehicle, I agree you take some risk when you modify your car but there are ways to work around this process and cover your tracks a bit if necessary.

From reading threads like this I alwAys assume the worst but it often ends up being much more forgivable.

I do think now that BMW is pushing their own performance line harder than ever that they will try to threaten other aftermarket as an attempt to steer people toward their own product line which again would support the dealers interest more so than just simply repairing a warranties car.