View Single Post
      04-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Fongngai
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramig92 View Post
Hey,

I recently purchased a 1998 BMW 528i (Black) and I love everything about it. We bought the car as is with no warranty or any guarantee. We bought it knowing that there is a problem with the transmission (automatic). Basically I've noticed a few things. First, when I start my car in the mornings and drive it wont shift to the next gear unless it reaches a little above 3k rpm. Second, while I'm driving, between the second and third gears the car kicks while its shifting. Finally the third thing, this happens occasionally, while I'm driving the rpm shoots up but the car doesn't go anywhere and I was told that when this happens to shift down to S3 and then back up to D, so every time that happens I quickly do that and it fixes by itself.

So today I took it to the transmission shop so they can diagnose it and see whats wrong with it. They told me that there is a problem internally in the transmission. The hydraulic valve is busted, and apparently this valve controls your car while its shifting. He said it would cost $800.00 tax for the repair of that and he told me while your transmission is apart we'll go ahead and replace the seals and so on (the things that wear off after use).

What do you guys think I should do? Seeing as my car has 137,000 miles, should I rebuild the transmission? Just change the part that he's talking about or is it another issue?

Thanks!
Any help out there, i believe I'm having a similar problem