View Single Post
      05-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
carnutdallas
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2001 BMW e39 530i Sport

I just registered on this forum, but thought I would post for you....I am on the bimmer forums and have been working on and driving the 5 series BMW for sometime.....Serious Porsche guy as well, but not currently in the budget with a growing family....anyway, buy as new as you can. I highly suggest and 01 or newer, due to updated VANOS system and less likely to be suffering a lack of maintenance. Usually in the 70K range you need to service the cooling system completely...radiator, t-stat housing (t-stat built in), fan clutch. OEM parts are reasonable, but suspect after 70K. They can have valley pan issue and valve cover gaskets will leak in higher mileage. Of course 6-speed is more fun (540's are 6's) but auto is pretty reliable. The later version is a 5 speed auto and that is much better. Better headlights and lighting in 01 and later. Get sport package: shocks, wheels, interior, a lot nicer for very little money. That is the quick points. If I find some links to buying tips I will shoot them back here. Lots are available and you can find plenty of 01's.....I bought a 6 with an auto just to save on repair cost relative to v8 and my wife can not drive a stick. Next time I will by a 6 speed and tell her to buy her own sedan if she wants to stop driving the burban'.