Banned
Rep

Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
R&T: BMW M Hasn't Given Up on Rear-Wheel Drive and Manual Transmissions Yet

"From a rational standpoint, a manual transmission makes no sense—it's slower, and fuel economy is worse than with an automated transmission," Van Meel said. "Put that aside, it has an emotional component, which means there are a lot of people who love manual transmissions."
Van Meel is toxic to driving enthusiasts like me. Stop telling us why drivers need to adapt to your technology. Instead, listen to what we want (manual transmissions, naturally aspirated, high-revving performance sedans) and build them!

Van Meel is to BMW what Roger Smith was for Cadillac / GM. Brand equity isn't limitless, and BMW is overdrawn. The brand used to be aspirational because it was Authentic (see M cars up through E46). Now? Where's the beef? BMW is simply a German wanna-be Prius.

I'm of an age that swore "only German cars". Now, cars with classically German attributes are built by Chevy, Cadillac, and Ford in Detroit. Where are the great auto execs of the past like Bob Lutz and Albert Biermann? Seems the current board aspires to be Toyota more than Porsche.

This is my last BMW. It's only in my garage because it's the best wagon I could find. The M2 might find a place in my garage, but why, when a ZL1 1LE smokes anything from Germany except a 918? All institutions evolve. And some, like BMW, devolve....
Attached Images

tetsuo1111227.00