02-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #6
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86merc View Post
Formula 1 cars are not turning the wheel much. Not like in a street car. So they can stay on the wheel.

With a street car you turn the wheel much more when you take corners. Say 2.5 to 3 turns lock to lock. When you are on a road course you shuffle your hand to turn the wheel. Keeping your hands and arms from crossing over each other. Basically, you do not go "hand over hand" when you turn. So when you shuffle the wheel you can keep your hands around the same area. So you can have your hands by the steering column mounted paddles. I would think it would work very well.
While I can see your logic, and it's been a while since I did any track time, it would have to be one hell of a turn that would make using column mounted more practical than steering mounted. Even in a long sweeping 90deg turn at speed, shuffling your hands would not be ideal. In an S sequence it's even less ideal. However, shuffling would be necessary with paddles mounted at the column. If you think about it, your hands stay fixed on the wheel when racing so it makes sense for the paddles to turn with your hands.