2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
All other manufacturers that have this feature, have that problem solved. The car won't start when it's in gear. Lol. How hard is that to program? BMW should be able to accomplish that.
Huh? If you read the OP it is already programmed with the safety feature.
I'm not sure what kind of "problem" you're trying to solve.

My comment was a reply to a user here who felt like the safety feature is "annoying".
All I'm saying is there is no need to have the parking brake/e-brake on in an automatic transmission car in order to use remote start. Which in fact, would be annoying.
I'm sorry that parking a car safely and properly with the parking brake is such an "annoying" inconvenience.

It should be common knowledge that in both manual and automatic transmissions, the parking brake is the primary physical mechanism that holds a vehicle in place while parked. Leaving a car in gear (manual) and putting the trans in park (automatic) rests the weight of a vehicle on the inertia of its gears in the former and on a locking safety pin that locks the output shaft of the transmission in the latter. In both cases, the parking brake has a stronger hold than the transmission components as they are not designed to be the only thing holding a car in place.
In fact, they are designed to complement the parking brake.
With the parking brake applied, if either of the aforementioned fail, the vehicle will still be held in place.

The parking brake, like other safety features, serve a fundamental purpose.
Is it likely that your failure to set the parking brake today will cause your car to roll into a ditch after running over some people along the way? Probably not.
But its also unlikely that you'll fly out the windshield today while driving home without a seatbelt on, so go figure.

Basic safety features exist for a reason. The parking brake, like the seat belt, are fundamental to this.
There's a reason why all road cars have these things.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
BMWM5NYC496.00
jzmundy991.00
clbmw632.50
SD ///M42992.00