09-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaze3 View Post
I have a Synology NAS with beefy specs. I have Plex directly running on it.

It's the tits. No joke.

Do eeet!
Interesting. I am hoping for a pretty cheap solution though. I got the QNAP for a good deal and it has been great for me so far. If I did go to a new NAS solution do you know if I would be able to simply pull the drives out of my current NAS and pop them into the new one and keep the data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I have a dedicated i5 machine with 16Gigs of memory running on Archlinux on a 12terabyte raid 5 array.

Plex runs really well, especially since I stream at full bitrate. I have two Chromecasts and three Roku units. The Chromecasts sit in the drawer since I bought my first Roku... in fact, I almost hate the Chromecasts...

I have run both Emby and Plex as my streaming database.... both have pros and cons... I am thinking of shifting back to Emby this fall...
Wow!! You are serious business. Not sure I need all of that. Right now I am getting by on DLNA to my PS3 for streaming. I am mainly looking to get the more polished interface of Plex (or similar). Not sure I even need transcoding abilities to be honest as most of collection is in .mp4 format.