View Single Post
      04-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
My 2000 E39 (528i) had transmission problems about 30K kilometers ago. When I was getting it diagnosed by the shop, who specializes in BMWs, we had quite a chat about the BMW automatic transmissions and their quirks. When they wear out (and they usually do by 250K kms, or 150K miles) they apparently often cost $3000-4000 to repair. So, if your transmission guy is saying he can repair for $800, this might be a good deal. However, sometimes, a good cleaning may solve the problem. In my case, the tranny was starting to shudder and lug at some speeds, and some shifts were seemingly harsh. Before starting to rebuild parts and change seals, the shop suggested they do a complete flush and get some parts inside thoroughly cleaned (valves, I think). This worked, and I haven't had a problem since.

On the other hand, I had a '94 Lincoln whose tranny was doing almost exactly what you initially described, and it needed a rebuild.

Good luck with the repair!