View Single Post
      04-11-2017, 01:45 AM   #5
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

MISLEADING HEADLINE ALERT.

I was going to say that's utter bullshit. Drivers are far more unpredictable than any electronics. Especially the line "even if these systems may be disabled by the driver." THAT'S BULLSHIT!!!

But the headline is misleading. They're being banned from High Performance DRIVER EDUCATION sessions.

Fair enough a driver education company doesn't want to force its drivers to get behind the wheel of a car and throw it around a corner at the limit of it's physical ability (physics are predictable) with the added complication that the computer might intervene and decide it's in everyone's best interests that it emergency brakes one wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
GVC chapter knows their shit and run an awesome event. Unless these devices can be completely defeated, I 100% agree with them.
But they're saying 'even if they CAN be completely defeated' - quote:

Quote:
Because there is so much uncertainty about how these systems behave in a variety of conditions, GVC have decided to ban all vehicles equipped with Automatic Emergency Braking and/or Lane Keeping Assistance systems (or their equivalent) for use in our HPDE events, even if these systems may be disabled by the driver.
So yeah, if they were banning the cars from the track because they're unpredictable, I'd be up in arms. But they're not. They're banning them from high performance driver education - where the instructor needs to be able to rely on the car responding in a particular way to a particular input - and a system that has the capability (and tendency) to apply full-breaking to one wheel out of four at a whim - would probably lead to the situation where an instructor has just instructed a learner race driver to spin his M4 into a guard rail. Even if I could see that it was disabled in NCS Expert, I'm not sure I'd have the confidence to risk someone else's car like that.

My own car, sure. And if you're banning me from a track because my car is unpredictable - f*ck you! I AM THE ONE WHO IS UNPREDICTABLE! ... but that's not what's being done here - despite the headline which insinuates it.
Elsabor67304.00