View Single Post
      05-01-2024, 01:12 PM   #8131
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep

Drives: iX3 on order, Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Agree. Not now, but up to 2022 I was in a business doing very large scale safety-of-life systems integration for the past 15 years. Software is nowhere near perfect and redundant hardware reliablibilty at a cost point that makes self driving anywhere near safe in a $40,000 automobile doesn't exist. The near autonomous Google pods that self-drive around Silicon Valley have goofy-ass-looking sensor suites that are impractical for private ownership and those cars still hit things, animals, and humans. The tech can probably get there eventually, but affordability is the real question.
I suspect we are going to need a major new technology to handle self driving - the LLMs such as ChatGPT, as clever as they are and despite the hype, are unlikely give you such as they don't understand anything as they are just statistical models, e.g. they have no comprehension about something being solid and that the car can't enter same space as another solid - they have just learnt they shouldn't cross that line and if the line looks different they may have not learnt not to cross it.

I suspect we are also going to need powerful computers on the car and currently those will take a lot of space and power.

Probably doesn't help with people like Musk thinking humans only need eyes to drive - so fixed cameras can work as well - no my eyes and head are mobile and neural net that's taken decades to train to comprehend the world.

I think This xkcd sums it up