RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
The technology for 100% electric cars still isn't where it should be - batteries need to be better, and charging needs to improve 1000%. Can't take a vehicle with a 250-mile range on a trip over 150 miles without serious planning for where to recharge it. The battery manufacturing involves really toxic substances, and the increased draw on the power grid once they become "popular" will have more than just "brownout" consequences. We still generate most of our electric power via fossil fuels, so what doesn't get burned in a car will be used to produce electricity. And a whole new charging infrastructure will need to be created - one that can add a substantial charge to an EV's battery in 15 minutes or less.

I think the day of the EV is coming, but for anything other than around-town and routine commuting, it's just not ready yet. I don't want to have to own two different vehicles if I want to take a trip to the western NC mountains or the Outer Banks - or further. And the price - not everyone can afford an EV, even with the tax rebates, unless it's something at the bottom end of the EV spectrum. Then there's the charger for your home (assuming you don't live in an apartment or condo without any charging infrastructure), which is not cheap and not cheap to install.

For those of us who don't commute and don't live in an urban area with EV charging capabiltiies and aren't pulling down $100K per year or more to afford such a vehicle (talking total cost of ownership), the whole EV thing is still more of a fad than a practical mode of transportation.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey

Last edited by RoundelM3; 06-29-2017 at 07:27 AM..