02-23-2024, 12:51 PM   #6815
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer954 View Post
My X4 is just as expensive as my i4 M50. There is no price difference. It's very Apples to Apples... My X4 M40i has 385hp and my i4 is over 500hp. Their cost was within two thousand dollars (about 3%). I don't mind paying slightly more for my electric when I getting even more performance.

It's just the operating cost on the i4 is several times (5x) less. Even if my electricity rates were to double the operating cost on the i4 would still be far less. I don't see electricity rates going up a lot without gas prices also going up. There are no oil changes and certainly less wear on the brakes in the i4 which are the main wear items in the X4. I guess the only place where the i4 is worse is that I burn through tires faster. But that's going to happen when you have double the torque off the line.

The major issue with the i4 is that the public charging (away from home) infrastructure sucks. It doesn't help that the current technology forces long waits to "refuel" the electric car. Adding 200 miles of range to a gas car takes a couple minutes. Adding 200 miles of range using DC Fast-Charge to today's electric vehicles can take anywhere from 20 to 40+ minutes not counting the wait time for public chargers. The wait time can be significant due to the scarcity of public chargers and the long "refuel" times.

So I wouldn't recommend a full electric vehicle as someone's only vehicle. Plug-in hybrid is much more reasonable in the current state of the world. Luckily I'm in a position where have the luxury of having an extra vehicle primarily for in-town use. Which, of course, is about 85+% of my driving time. While in-town I can drive for much less cost and recharge every night at home. Use the gas car for road trips.
So you bought a 2nd car as a $60,000 EV to save $1,000 annually on gasoline for around town driving? Can you see how some people don't see any savings here?
M5Rick66295.00
eugenebmw1954.00
kyriian938.50