10-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
RS, AMG, and M each have their own personalities and one does not trump the other.

I do think Audi has the best interiors, and the RS models are indeed more rare than AMG or M.

I also respect the fact that Audi has not sold out the RS brand like BMW has done with M and Mercedes has done with AMG. You don’t see any RS branding on a non RS car. Meanwhile BMW has destroyed the exclusivity of the M brand and Mercedes is heading in that direction with AMG.
Thanks Rare is something I would hesitate to say to be honest. I live around an area where I can safely say we have a lot higher end cars. The only place that would beat where I live is probably Beverly Hills due to movie stars. So I use that as kind of a measuring stick for cars. I have seen a handful of Audi RSs only here, none of them happen to be the Audi RS3. Mainly RS7 and R8. We have way more M3/M4 here by a large margin than we do with AMGs.

I also didn't know about the DSG to DCT change. I would have to get my hands on the 2018 S3 to feel the difference between the two gearbox.

Pricing wise I'm not too positive. They were willing to give me a price on the 2018 S3 almost right away below MSRP because they consider me a VIP but they told me the RS3 price they usually sell above sticker price and that won't work for me. I know I can push the price down on a RS3 from them but it would be hard to negotiate on it if they sell the RS3 usually above sticker price. I can easily aim at the CLA45 AMG I saw and posted about few weeks ago and get that at a very good price because that is a 2017 not 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Audi sales people seem to have this delusional belief that RS models trump their AMG/M counterparts.
It is more of a perception sort of thing. Us M owners obviously dislike the fact that BMW is going down a route that will dilute their M cars too much as a BMW M doesn't have a standout feature that is unique to BMW alone. Aside from everyone knowing what a BMW M3 is, there isn't much aside from that. Unlike Benz AMG where the real AMGs are hand build engine, or a Audi RS being an RS. Audi definitely doesn't dilute their car line ups too much with the S, and R being there. They are the only brand I know of that separates into three clear tiers of performance. That is very commendable.

It is just how us humans happens to be. We get a certain car on a price range and want to feel unique somehow but major car companies are sadly driven by sales. Can't say I'm super upset with BMW but I wish they would tone down the M on non-M cars a bit. I don't mind the M240i, I have a bit of a problem with the M550i...