View Single Post
      10-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Great detailed review of the S3.

We have a 2017 S3 in the garage currently. Ara Crystal Blue, Black Optics, Technology Package, Virtual Cockpit, etc. in Premium Plus trim.

A few comments/observations related to your post:

1. Pre-2018's had 6 speed DSG's. They went to 7 speed in 2018. This is a good change, at 80mph you are spinning at just over 3k rpms in the 6 speed, and it drones a bit. Overall I think the DSG is better than BMW's DCT. Less lurchy at low speeds, smoother engagement, etc.

2. The Virtual Cockpit is very cool. It makes the interior. Audi really got this right.

3. The Resonator Delete is available as a factory option. Our car has it. It greatly improves the sound, a must have in my opinion. Further, the sound is not artificial as it is in the M3/M4. I like the sound of the car. Authentic and not overdone.

4. As you indicated the B&O sound system is a VERY good.

5. Did the car you drove have adjustable dampers? Ours does, and there is a substantial difference between Comfort and Dynamic modes. Dynamic really flattens the car out.

6. The car drives smaller than it is. It is very flickable compared to the M3/M4. Steering is light. In the 2017's and 2018's, they have reworked the Haldex logic for more rear power bias. I find our car has very little understeer. Great handling for the street.

7. I think the car has good power for the street, and plenty of low cost tunes are available to take it north of 400hp.

8. The car is more sensitive to the heat than the M3/M4. We had a few 110 degree days a month or so ago and the S3 felt a little heat soaked around town. Never had that in the M4. Makes sense given the more track oriented focus of the M4.

9. Dealers in SoCal are ready to negotiate on these cars. I was able to get 13% off MSRP with some arm twisting, I might have been able to do a bit better.

10. Gripes - the car is a four door obviously, and the doors are small. This means the B pillar is right next to your head if you are taller than about 5'9", and there is little armrest to use if the seat is back to accommodate a taller person. I really wish they made this car in a coupe version. Leftmost display on the Virtual Cockpit always defaults to the MPG screen, and there is no way to override this. Also, I've had some handoff issues with Apple CarPlay, where the system gets confused whether the MMI or the iPhone has control. A firmware update would likely address this, but I've been too lazy to look into it.

Other than that, the car has been tight, rattle free, and no issues thus far.

A great car overall!

Last edited by blschaefer1; 10-21-2017 at 12:29 PM..
Arcades8234.00