10-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #31
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
No. When Rover collapsed under BMW it threatened to take the whole company down with them.
VW like sharks in the water smelt the blood and moved in for the kill.
At BMW the blood was already spilt in the boardroom with the top men of BMW removed. VW were not the only companies interested in BMW, both GM and Ford made advances to buy BMW.
VW's interference and advances ( which is happening to Alfa Romeo) led the company to dispose of Rover and sell the Land Rover Brand to Ford under VW's nose who notified German buiness media that they were first in the queue to buy the Land Rover brand.

After the boardroom coup BMW decided that its overall goal to remain independent was to go it alone by developing many new models (X5 E53 was just launched at this time) , The MINI and Rolls-Royce Phantom were in conception and then there was The BMW 1er family which also included a Sedan and Touring being designed for the E87 series. And the first Premium entry SAV The BMW X3 and the BMW 6er.

The dark years of BMW during the collapse of Rover were not plain-sailing but the overall ruthlessness of the Quandt family made sure that the company survived and remained independent to which they did eventually taking the no 1 premium manufacturer crown from arch rivals Mercedes-Benz.
Interesting. I knew that BMW went through tough times in the early 2000's, but I didn't know VW tried to buy them out.

I noticed that you said a sedan and a touring were designed for the E87 1er. Why were they never devoleped? And I am curious what they looked like. Is there any chance that BMW would ever realese the drawings in the future?